Hot Rod Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Glancing at the rear bumper, the ends of it come straight down following the quarter panel from a rear view. Thats what I meant by the bumper corner following the fender edge from a front view. With the front bumper sticking out less than the rear does, for a mainly vertical nose, from a side view.

Now, while we are tossing pics about... :D

This is my car, a 1969. Your car may cast shadows that have a remarkably similar profile.:eek:

As food for thought, and because I only speak Grand Prix when it'll do...;)

Note variation in shape of front bumper corners between 73 and 77. Your car came with bumper ends most like the 77. But to echo the look of your rear bumper with your front, I would say a corner shape more like the 73 is the better fit. The 77 model has 5 MPH bumpers so it sticks way out but my point is that those two corner designs make a lot of difference in the profile of the car.

Thats a 73. Heres the bulkier, squared, later design-

·
More for Less Racer
19,477 Posts
My opinion...bumper height is good.
The pointed corners of the bumper, smooth them off entirely....the ends of the bumper jutting forward farther than the center beak of the bumper make it look ungainly.

I'd take another 20-25mm off the bottom edge of the front fender from the wheel opening of the tire clear to the bumper, with a slight upward taper from the wheel opening to the front edge.....then if you need something low in the front use a under chin splitter or spoiler.
The front half of the fender just looks to me like Moby Dick, the Great White Whale, when viewed from the side(Profile view).

·
More for Less Racer
19,477 Posts
Grill opening like #6, but raise lower spoiler/bottom of lower opening to #7 height.

Upper grill opening need to be taller than lower grill opening....making them same size either looks bulky or is just out of proportion with the entire proportioning of the roof body height relationship.

The 2/3 to 1/3 rule works good here....

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
What I am thinking is that our hero wants a cattle-catcher. A dustpan for sail rabbits and road pizza. Can we get a Hoover vaccum logo in there somehow? Ha ha.:D

Front ends are centerpieces, the focal point of any car. The rest of the car is plenty mysterious and intriguing. The driver wishes to indulge in an "extreme", shockingly aggressive facial expression for the car. Seen in that light, I agree with squashing the grille height.

Moving the bottom horizontal element rearward definitely helps me like it. That takes it from looking too boso or race car and visually tones it down to a giant air inlet slot with a little wood planing hand tool influence. As though it is a grain harvesting implement, almost.

The raised bumper exposes so much depth it is like looking at the ramp extending from an aircraft cargo hold. It may not be exactly what I am into, my car looks like a castle though.

In any configuration shown, the look is unique and very dramatic. :thumbup:

I have an idea that might be trick, for the grille. Numerous slim vertical bars, angled rearward at bottom. Could create a neat optical effect if the top of the bumper is chrome.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I need a pie (Men in black 3) :confused:

I’m not afraid of non-standard solutions, but I definitely don’t want to shock.
First drawing. I definitely did not follow this... Do you see Moby Dick here ?
I can use some panel under the bumper for kill a grain harvesting implement
I decided that I must first determine the type of profile

Attachments

·
More for Less Racer
19,477 Posts
I like the grill/front face look a lot better.
Proportions on the drawing look good....if you look at that compared to your current on-car views, the drawing shows the distance from the rear of front wheel opening to door as roughly the same as from front of wheel opening to nose...when you look at the car now, there is more fender forward of the wheel opening than between the opening and the door...it makes the nose look huge.

I still think the points on the end corners of the bumper are way too big and are contributing to the too large nose effect, maybe shouldn't be there at all, just a nice smooth bumper with just a peak in the center

In profile view, the front end with a reverse slope of the slant on the rear of he car just doesn't work.....with the slant of the trunk/tail panel/bumper/valance in the rear, the nose needs to be blunt and near vertical IMO.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
I like the new direction better. Could have sworn I noticed a cue from a Grand Prix on there.;)

Don't let my silly words discourage you in any direction. Like you, I prefer to convey thoughts about shapes with images rather than words. I stared at the new picture about five minutes and my mind will take a little time to produce coherent thoughts. Or pictures. I am tempted to join in the sketch pad and photo editing fun.:mwink:

I didn't analyze the photo versus drawing proportions but if the back of fender length is off, thats like a Monte Carlo next to a Chevelle... just a bit longer right there. Definitely affects looks. If we had two profile photos good enough to put the halves together, that may help you refine the big metal sketch to accurately express your concept.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
I played around with a rough sketch. Had ideas, some good and some bad. Now that you've probably found some pie, my advice on the thought process is this:

Get some potential headlights and some grille materials you like. If you have those on hand and play around with those other elements, I believe it won't take long before some ideas get ruled out and new ones are born.

The contour of the front of the hood for example, is a parameter you must work within. It is guiding the development of the other elements. I took a shot at using it to break up the purely horizontal format but it is a big departure from the direction thus far and I didn't find a shape I liked. Montegos came to mind.

In the coming days, I may show an experiment or two. Busy now dreaming up cab reinforcements for an old Ford truck. Not as fun but I gotta focus on it for now.

·
More for Less Racer
19,477 Posts
Don't let this give you nightmares.:D Galaxie XR7?
For some reason, they rendering makes me think of either a sleepy Parrot, or the beak of the giant Squid in old Disney movie 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. LOL

More like "Ferd Galaxy Prix SJ 1978". LOL

Maybe smaller center panel, like '67-68 Cougar.??

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
For some reason, they rendering makes me think of either a sleepy Parrot, or the beak of the giant Squid in old Disney movie 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. LOL

More like "Ferd Galaxy Prix SJ 1978". LOL

Maybe smaller center panel, like '67-68 Cougar.??
The reason is it has headlights (eyes). If a guy is designing a front end, headlights should not be an afterthought. 78 GPs have square, side-by-side headlights.

His tail light is from a Thunderbird. The kind with a cave mudskipper face. Consider beaked T-bird years as influence rather than assume I'm here to pitch Pontiac.;)

Like it or not, I wanted something to break up the straight across bottom front of the hood. And to show that a subdued chin spoiler can still work. The rest is crazy garbage I threw in to startle. Something for people to throw their better ideas at or maybe spark new.

I could provide some seperate individual elements that he could arrange on his computer if he wants. But he could do same for himself. I think the point he is at is the time to consider the whole package.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Once I used a fresh front end and started shuffling, everything you are doing made sense to me. It will look really good. Quite clever, in fact. :cool:

This is just stock stuff shuffled around. I inverted the shape at the front of the hood down on the bottom of the bumper. The dark spots on the spoiler / splitter are the old jack slots.:D

Attachments

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
:cool: What's in the purple pie? Is it bad fast? Can we see the front end? Looks pretty cool.

I do like the bumper end tucked behind the fender. Not a bad song, either.:)

Thanks for the update.:thumbup:

41 - 60 of 68 Posts