Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just thinking looking into if anyone is using the independent rear suspension from the newer ford escapes. Saw one driving and noticed that IRS. It would be going into a t bucket that is being made to drive.

What do you guys think? Any one else doing this?

Thanks

John

·
Troll Hunter
2,694 Posts
Maybe I'm confusing the model, but I believe most escapes are front wheel drive with an AWD option. So it would either not have a differential or would have a fairly weak one. We used to swap 'vette rear ends and jag rear ends under them. The 'vette has a cross leaf which was an easy adaption to the frame. ALL T-birds made from '89 onward were IRS as was the sister Lincoln. They are a dime a dozen in the yards and some even have an aluminum center pumpkin. They are also 8.8s.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK. I was just wondering. But since the time of my last post i have had a chance to look at one under an escape. The diffy looks plenty solid for strength. but one problem that I see is the light stamped control arms. I would have to make some up out of steel. It was just an idea that came to me driving around. Right now it doesn't seem to be a popular option. I will have to look into those other cars see what they look like.

Thanks

John

·
Registered
54 Posts
The Superformance Cobra replicas use the Ford Thunderbird 8.8" IRS in their cars. They use the center section and modify or make hubs, not sure, to accept their suspension pieces. I saw this about 5 years ago and always wondered why someone has never used these units in a street rod. The rear ends appear to be very strong as I have seen some very high horsepower engines in those cars. Could this be an alternative to Corvette and Jag rear ends? If some one could come up with hub pieces that are reasonable in cost it just might fly.

·
Member - AMC/Rambler "guru"
1,772 Posts
What are you planning on using for power in the T? If it's a warmed over four why not give the Escape diff a try? There are several others to look at too -- Volvo 960, Nissan Z and Cressida (same type, I think), and Merkur XR4 to name a few. The Nissan has been used with small block conversions, and the Volvo should hold up to reasonable power in a light car. I'm planning on building with a Merkur IRS, but will also use the rest of the Merkur drivetrain (five speed and turbo 2.3L).

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To be honest I don't know about what power plant yet other than it is going to be a Chevy. It could be anything from mild to wild. But most likely it will be closer to the mild end.(But you never know what you can find). I will look into those other rears, but right now everything is under some snow and it will make the junkyard hunt cold. So that may have to wait till spring.

"I saw this about 5 years ago and always wondered why someone has never used these units in a street rod." That is what I thought when I saw the Escape.

Thanks For all the ideas and info.

John

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
t bird irs

saw t bird - -+ cougar irs under a t bucket, the guy made new arms but used center section brakes and drive shafts. said he was going to make a kit but have seen any yet

1 - 8 of 8 Posts