Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When it comes to the newer Ford products, I am in the dark: aka, clueless. So for the Ford guys, I hope you can enlightening me. I have a 68 Bronco Half Cab that has been sitting in the barn for the past 3 years waiting on me to get the energy level up to redo it. I have had a late model, 5.0 EFI motor in mind for the new power plant, but have run across a 2000 something Ford Lightning PU that has been rolled several times. It has the 351 fuel injected motor and the price is right for the whole mangled mess. It is a 2WD, auto and of course the old Bronco has a 3 speed manual with transfer case. My biggest question is: What kind of problems am I going to run into bolting up this combo? If it is a bigger challenge than I am willing to face, is there a later model tranny/transfer case that will work with this motor? Fabricating motor and tranny mounts does not bother me, but I do need something that has the front and rear drive shafts near the right place to go with the Ford 9 inchers on the old Bronc.

Trees

·
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool
919 Posts
Yea, I'm pretty sure the 2000?? Lightning will be a cast iron block, 5.4 liter fuel injected, supercharged, aluminum heads, fordged crank, single overhead cam engine. Not sure about the model transmission, but no doubt 4 sp od electronic shift putting out over 300hp stock. The bronco would be be an animal with that motor in it, but I wouldn't try to make it 4x4 with that configuration. You would need a 4x4 transmission to mate to the 5.4 bolt pattern, and that will NOT be cheap, unless you can convert the 2wd trans. You will need to transplant the computer and herness to operate the transmission and engine fuel and spark systems too.

I always thought of building a 2wd Bronco pro street machine, I think that would be cool.

·
Registered
9 Posts
2000 Lightning

I have a 2000 Ford F100 Lightning and Arrowhead is correct, the motor is an injected and supercharged 5.4 rated at 360 HP.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
If you have the left side transfer case that should be ok..If you can find out just what you have I can find out some more..check your bellhousing in the bronco against the bellhousing pattern in the lightning..if that works then we are home free pretty much..

Just might get lucky and find that the most of it will be wrecking yard parts..

Sam

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OMT, it is a left side transfer case (front drive shaft is left of center and rear is right.). The tranny is Ford 3 speed manual with 289/302 bolt pattern. I have no clue about the bolt pattern on the 5.4, nor do I know if a fly wheel will bolt up to the crank. I do not object to an automatic but it might be a bear to marry it to the transfer case. This will keep the old brain exercised for a while.

Trees

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
that bronco would be awsome with a 00 lighting super charged motor. the 00 and newer 4x4 5.4L ford P/Us would prob have the tranny you need to make it work in the 4x4 bronco, you could prob use a auto or manual tranny. resell the lighting tranny to recoop some costs of the 4x4 tranny cost. I thought some of the 00 Lighting were 4.6s ? the 4.6 & 5.4s Lighting motors were built tough as someone said, 5.4 liter fuel injected, supercharged, aluminum heads, forged crank, single overhead cam engine. (I was thinking the Lighting was a dohc not a sohc but I might be wrong) the lighting is a late model muscle car/truck.

the lighting has 4 wheel disc brakes too........

let us know what you do. I love the Idea ! as it sounds reasonable to do as the 2000 and newer F150s & F250s had factory 5.4L 4x4s with auto and manual transmissions.

Mustangsaly

·
Registered
306 Posts
In the December 2006 issue of Truck Builder magazine, there's an article about a guy who put a '51 Ford panel van body on the complete rolling chassis of a 2002 Explorer that had been rolled several times.

He wanted the Explorer chassis to remain stock, so that it would be covered by the warranty, as it only had 12,000 miles on it. He went through a lot to make this project work, the most drastic modification being the entire panel van body was sliced in half from front to rear and widened 5 inches. The hood, grille, and front valance panels were widened 2 1/2 inches on each side of center to maintain the stock hood peak. Looking at the completed project, you can't tell that anything has been done to the body at all. They really pulled this off flawlessly.

On this project, he used the Explorer dash, heater controls, and guages in order to keep the ECU and wiring harness stock.

The execution was fantastic. It really looks stock, and if he breaks down, it's under warranty.

Here's a couple of pics of the panel. Can't find a really good shot from the front, but you get the idea.

http://fordlords.com/images/100_0396.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts