Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone know if there is any difference between the V8 rearend and the later (76) six cly rearend? I need one and saw it at the pick a part. The axle tubes looked smaller but I have been staring at my 9 inch so much that I may be confused. It does have five lugs like the other one I used. Oh and I am asking about the strenght I know that the housing will work. I used a V8 rearend a few years ago on another car.
Any Help?

Thanks
Randall

·
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool
919 Posts
Not sure I totally understand your question. Do you need axles for the Curre 9" in your T bucket? I was going to say the Maverick parts won't fit, but some 8" axles will fit the 9" rear, depends on spline count and bearing size. I'm pretty sure the 6cyl came with a 7.5" or something like that. I know when I built my T, I had a heck of a time finding 8" shafts that were the correct length. Ended up going though one of those online salvage yards. Almost paid as much as a set of new shfts from currie.

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
5,617 Posts
As far as I know, all Mavs came with 8" rears, but I've only owned one and most of the Mav info I used to have has fallen out my ears. :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys

First thanks to everyone. I knew I could get the answers I need here. I will try to give better info next time. I am going to use the entire rearend as it has a good width as it is. The one I will get has the five lugs so it should be fine for this light car.
Again Thanks
Randall

·
Registered
142 Posts
I think it will be ok in that light a car. I had a V-8 Comet and I couldn't break it so they are pretty tough :rolleyes:

·
Registered
279 Posts
I think I read somewhere that the later 6 and the V8 rears are the same,I have one in my 55 ford and I think it came from one that had a 6 but it looks identical to the V8 mav rear my friend has. Jeff

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
junkyardjeff said:
I think I read somewhere that the later 6 and the V8 rears are the same,I have one in my 55 ford and I think it came from one that had a 6 but it looks identical to the V8 mav rear my friend has. Jeff
yep, just some mavericks had an odd 4 lug on some of the 6 cyl cars, not many but, they were made. 1970 I think, everything went 8" for 6cyl

·
5,617 Posts
Not odd at all.. most every maverick, mustang, pinto, and other intermediate Ford up through the 80s had the 4 lug pattern. My V8 maverick has four-lugs

·
5,617 Posts
And just a little tidbit... while no 9" axle assembly will bolt in, certain 9" center sections will fit in place of your 8". Back in the day, Carroll Shelby made a poor-man's 9" for the mustang by pulling the axle tubes out of the 8" and welding a 9" housing in the middle. There was something about small-bearing vs. large bearing, but it can be done and still use your stock axle shafts.

Another close option is the Explorer 8.8". Discs if your careful, and its basically a corporate rip-off copy of a GM 12-bolt, so its plenty strong.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
curtis73 said:
Not odd at all.. most every maverick, mustang, pinto, and other intermediate Ford up through the 80s had the 4 lug pattern. My V8 maverick has four-lugs
No factory V8 Maverick had 4 lugs.

·
5,122 Posts
curtis73 said:
And just a little tidbit... while no 9" axle assembly will bolt in, certain 9" center sections will fit in place of your 8". Back in the day, Carroll Shelby made a poor-man's 9" for the mustang by pulling the axle tubes out of the 8" and welding a 9" housing in the middle. There was something about small-bearing vs. large bearing, but it can be done and still use your stock axle shafts.

Another close option is the Explorer 8.8". Discs if your careful, and its basically a corporate rip-off copy of a GM 12-bolt, so its plenty strong.

NO nine inch center sections will fit into any eight inch housings.

Complete nine inch rears will bolt right in to Mavericks. Find one with the correct wheel to wheel width.
Nearly every 50s, 60s, 70, and 80s leaf spring Ford car uses the same leaf spring spacing. Most (not all) have 57 1/2 inch wide rear ends in either eight or nine inch housings. Exceptions are 62-65 Fairlanes and MII. Later Must and Torinos got 59 1/2 and 61 1/2 wide.

FYI the light duty nine inch rear uses the identical axles and bearings as the eight inch units (if the overall width is the same).

The only thing to watch out for is that the early and late axles have different size center holes for the wheels.

·
5,122 Posts
curtis73 said:

The 65-66 Mustangs with HIPO 289s had nine inch rear ends with tubes necked down to 2 1/2 inches from the factory. Shelby did not modify the housings.

FYI both 8 and 9 inch rear ends have 3 inch tubes where they meet the center.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts