Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend just bought a 1934 Ford stock car This car is sweet ! Looks like it just got off a dirt track in 1955. The car has a Ford/Merc Flathead V-8 with 2 deuces
and runs great.
My question : stock firing order for the Flathead is 1-5-4-8-6-3-7-2
This car's firing order is 1-2-5-4-8-6-3-7.
I dont know anything about Flatheads but why was this done ? More power
Seems like a big time expense to change the crank and cam.
The car has a GM Hei dist. in it also.
Appreciate any and all help on this

·
More for Less Racer
19,888 Posts
If you've got the cylinder numbering correct....1-2-3-4 passenger side, 5-6-7-8 drivers side.... there is a possibility of a cam with altered firing order done either for possible more power or in an effort to revise main bearing loads for greater durability?? Crank wouldn't necessarily have to be different depending on how the order was altered, 3 or 4 firing orders are possible with one crank

Maybe one of the flathead guys on the board may come along and know if this was done?? I'm a bit too young for these engines, but have heard of stuff like this being done in the past.

Chevy V8 race cams can be had with a "4-7" swap and a "4-7, 8-5" swap compared to the normal 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 order, for example....same crankshaft for all these.

Might try this question over at the H.A.M.B board, lots more flathead lovers there.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Flathead V-8 Firing order

Thanks for the responses.
No, there is no mix up on the firing order.
There is a old " Melling Cam " sticker on the firewall. but no specs.
I surfed around the internet and came up with " could take the load off the crank for more reliability " Maybe, just Maybe more power ?
Regardless, the car runs great, starts right up, idles with a nice lope, no back firing. Who Knows why it was done ?
Just wondering why it was done.
I say leave well enough alone and enjoy the heck out of it.
Thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts