Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was still a teenager, I bought a new Chevy pick-up.
28 years later, this truck still has absolutely no rattles or squeaks in the body or frame. 400,000 miles and still as tight as it was when new.

Aug. of 05 I bought a new Ranger XLT extended cab.
(yea, I know, AutoZone parts runner wannabe truck)

Being the XLT, I should expect a tighter vehicle than a base truck.

This truck has an obscene rattle in the driver door when the window is down.
From day one this has annoyed me.

About 6 mo. ago, the left front wheel started locking up on even mild braking---intermittantly.

Yesterday, leaving work, upon starting the truck, the ABS light came on. This is after it had been raining hard all day.

This morning I had made the decision to get it to the Ford store to get this silly s--t fixed, and am not yet perturbed.

Got a box to clean out the truck a bit before dropping it off for repairs, and while getting the 'accumulation' cleared from behind the seats, I noticed that many items on the carpet were wet, both jump seats were damp, and the headliner above the rear window was soaked.

NOW I AM CRANKY :mad:

My quarter windows do not open--no slider in the rear--
the longest distance this truck travels on an unpaved surface is the 100 feet of my gravel driveway. The rest is literally smooth hiway driving.

I have also rented a few of the new Mustangs in the past, all of these cars were 'clunky' in the rear.

Is this a Ford trait???-----US models in general trait??? or all the predominatley plastic autos, foriegn and domestic???

I was informed the leak was probably from the high brake light----pretty much standard on trucks since 1990---they haven't figured out how to seal them yet???

Weird but, I am less upset about the braking issues than I am about the rattles and waterleaks.

RANT, RANT,

on a better note-----weather will be better tomorrow and the 59 will come out to play for a while-----no rattles in this car either.

Bryan

·
Registered
584 Posts
You know for all the expensive diagnotic tools there are today, they still have not found a good way to find out where those damn leaks are coming from. My parents took their Sentra back to the dealer at least 3 times to fix pita leaks.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Ever try clear Silicone??

J/K! I hear you, but it's not just Fords. Door plastic rattles on GM's, heck I've got a leak in my truck, but I did track it down. I think anyways. I first noticed it when it was about 30 below and my blower motor didn't work. Guess what, I had enough water in the blower fan area to freeze the fan. It sat for 20 minutes that morning idling away before I discovered it. I'm thinking that it's the result of a poorly sealed replacement windshield that let the snow that melted from the cowl run in. Iwill know more when the monsoon rains hit...

In a while, Chet.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
You hit a nerve Bryan, I,ve got an '02 F-250 4x4 Powerstroke, now I like the truck but the Fords tailgates are crap. Last year I was out in a neighbors field loading bails of alfalfa into the bed. I was on the ground and a helper was on the tail gate, he weighs around 170. Well when we were through loading and unloading the tailgate had actually bowed in the middle by about 1" rendering it useless. Of course it was out of warranty.
I called the local dealer and when I told him what had happened he kind of chuckled and said he goes through more tailgates than he can get. He said its was a real problem and Ford was working on it. That does'nt satisfy me, I called the Factory in Dearborn and speak to one of their "customer service" ??
smoothies. He just could'nt believe I was having problems but he would advice their engineering staff. I told him he was full of sh-- because the dealer had informed me of the problem so I knew the factory was aware. I ended our conversation by saying "Ford builds tough trucks...BS" I,m sure he's heard it before.

·
Lost in the 50s!
758 Posts
I have had an 01 explorer for the last two years or so. I drove it from 65K to 92K so far. I had to replace the thermostat. I put new tires and brake pads and of course oil and filter changes.

Other than that...no problems what-so-ever.

I don't hear that well, but no one else has mentioned any rattles or squeeks. I know that the power everything works just fine.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
I've told this story on here before, but as long as this is a ford thread:

My old man has an '02 explorer (one of the nice ones, V8, leather, 6 disk, towing pack etc).

He drives it easy, and has owned it since new. This car has never been driven by anybody under the age of 50 and has been maintained on schedule BY FORD.

The rear end on it blew up at about 35000 miles. Ford did an inspection around then as well, and all four wheel bearings were shot. 3500 dollars in repairs.

At 50k, the transmission blew up while his wife was driving it. Another 3 grand in repairs. BTW, this car was never towed with.

I guess he's glad he got the extended warranty. The guy who did the trans at ford had the nerve to tell him "there might be some particles in the torque converter, we think you should replace it." My old man said "well, if you don't want to cover it under warranty, then you can put it back together and if it blows up again you can get me another rental car and spend another day pulling this thing apart again."

They put the old converter back in.

K

·
Registered
19 Posts
Maybe it depends when your car/truck was built? Mondays aren't good, the workers are still hung-over from the weekend. Tuesdays are better, but it's a long way to Friday. Wednesdays are better--hump day. Thursdays are less good--it's almost Friday, and people are starting to make their weekend plans. Fridays aren't good--but better than Mondays because it's Friday and people are thinking about the weekend.

I loved my '97 Thunderbird. It didn't get driven much, but every time we did take it out, it was just like a new car. I sold it with about 54k miles on it last summer, and it still even had that new car smell.

Oh, I forgot to add that my car happened to be built on a Wednesday. But in my case, there might have been special circumstances, as production of the MN12 Tbird ended the next day.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Ford Problms

had a 02 explorer no problems it had 100000ks when we sold it never did the brakes, had the v8and 5spd trans. my big error is we bought a 2003 300msp chrysler. brakes worn out at 15000 ks again at 35 inst jober brakes and rotors, and took chrysler to arbitration they paid me. now the springs have saged,they wont help, this dog is still under full warrantee,as it was bougt inmid 04. so to me ford looks pritty decent compared to chrysler cliff

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was told today that I might not get this truck back 'til Monday.

Yep---all that schooling and fancy hi-tech equipment at work.

Oh-well----guess I'll finish cutting that tree down out back this weekend :rolleyes:

Bryan

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Was informed this morning of worn brake pads/front alignment

Yaaa---Riiiiigggghhhhtt. 26,000miles--never off pavement--all highway miles

Base warranty does not cover brakes and alignment past 12,000.

I'm gonna play their silly game, but if they cannot produce the pads from my vehicle when I go in to pay------gonna get their 'nads.

Still have not solved the issue with the ABS -----He claims rear window was leaking.

So---If the pads are worn to the point of braking problems---and this same ford store performs all of the maint/servicing of this car-----then why was I not informed of the "worn pads" at my last service and wheel rotation????/
1500 miles ago----full service/well check/tire rotation

Alignment needed after 18 mo-------not too sure I get that one either

I'm gonna check my warranty papers---

my 79 chev---all hiway - occaisional trailer--still on original rotors
Front pads were changed in 1993 @ 220,000 for the first time.
@400,000----those pads are now about gone-----rotors still round and true
Aligned in 93 for the first time---still drives straight and true---does not wear tires.

Will update later

Bryan

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BMM said:
'Tis why my family has 3 chevy's.

And I havwe a ford :(
59 Chev ElCamino-----Body off rebuild--disassembled and reassembled by me--first major undertaking
64 Chev C-10---------Rust and dent-free pasture find--parked 10yrs--starts right up
66 Chev ElCamino-----Virtually unmolested---original 327 missing when I got it--305 now (i think)
79 Chev C-10---------Bought new

94 Ford T-bird>>>>>>>>has blown head-gaskets twice now---bought new
97 Ford T-bird>>>>>>>>check engine light has everyone baffled for 4 yrs
05 Ford Ranger>>>>>>>'cause GM has the ugliest vehicles on the planet now

·
Crazy Ole Ironhead
235 Posts
Its not just ford..its ALL the manufacturers having several problems because they are gettin cheeper & cheeper on parts & also all this new technology everyone is tryin to out do each other in a flurry
I like all american vehicles..chevy..ford..mopar
Its just todays newer vehicles are made alot poorer quality then the old ones..new ones are made just enough to hande the torture they are put through..not like the old ones which were built to withstand it alot better
I have several fords & have not had any real issues with them

84 F150 with over 500k miles..orignial 300 inline auto..tranny JUST went out only because i didnt know the oil cooler hose blew off the radaitor & spewed all of the fluids..was too late..already done damage

86 Bronco II 4x4..currently 240k miles,,,has one tranny put in it because the guy before me that had it put the wrong pilot bearing in the clutch kit & it detroyed the input shaft..i still drive this thing regularly everyday & gets 26 MPG with a 2.9 V6 5 speed OD

Original 85 GT mustang ragtop...all original 190k..never a repair accept for new top
just bought a 97 F150 shortbed off of a freind..203k miles..no problems accept for a new brake master cylinder..all original ..4.2 V6 auto..beautiful truck..i know it was well taken care of

66 bronco 4x4..mileage unkown...last documented mileage was 340k..original inline 240 CI 3 on the tree..has floor shifter now..cant stop that thing in the mud & still goes down the road nice
One thing most people forget about is the trans fliuds & filter..its just like an engine..it NEEDS replaced once ina while..i replace all mine at 20.000 miles..some people wonder why a 100.000 mile + transmission that has never had a fluid & filter change shifts funny or quits..duhhhh??
wonder what would happen to an engine with no fluid & filter change after maybe 20.000 miles?

They all have their problems..especialy new ones..very poorly made & more plastic than anything else now

My brother bought a 05 GMC full size 4x4...in one month..the drivers window stopped workin..in a few more months..all the power buttons started screwin up..at 32k miles..the tranny screwed up..at 9 months old..we noticed the tailgate wouldnt never shut right anymore & sometimes goin down the road it just suddenly popped open & fell down..he never hauled anything in it eccept maybe his kids jumpin in & out of it..the problem?..it was bent..the dealer wouldnt replace it because they said it was "abused"..even though there was a recall on the tailgate cable..it was worthless without a tailgate that wouldnt stay shut
So whats he do?..buys a loaded 2007 GMC Z71 4x4..geuss what?..tranny is acting funny already & has a misfire here & there..2 months old?...yea thats chevy tough
it doesnt matter the make of it..there ALL junk in my opinion becuse of the low quality they are made of anymore

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Well my wife has a starmist blue 57 T-bird and they made 300 of that color in 1957 and the only year they used that color.
So with the new t-bird only in 2003 they made 300 of the baby blue (robin egg) color, finally found one in Boston at a dealer and bought for a Xmas present in Nov of 2003.

Well the three year/36,000 mile warranty went out in Nov and last week wifes says trans is slipping a little in reverse and 3-4th.
The car when I take it in has 36,200 miles on it.
Got the car back from the dealer last night and with some *****ing ford would fix the trans, ONLY parts that were broke and my cost would be $300 and change. They would not give me a new trans.
With that I opp-ed for a ford reman trans and I have $1200 for my share invested but it comes with a 3/75,000 warranty.

This is the same trans used in Jag, Mountaineer V*8 and ford exploder trac truck and as I understand this trans is usually good for 60,000 miles.

It must have gotten embarrassed setting next to the Sequoia 4wh dr that has 55,000 miles on it and has never been back to dealer, I don't know.

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
A good friend of mine has an 04 F150.He had to have the ball joints replaced after approx. 7500 miles. He is always pulling jokes and B.S ing around so I did not believe him when he told us. I had to climb under his truck before I was convinced. So many parts are made from plastic and rubber any more to get the weight down for fuel economy standards,that I am surprised that new cars are holding up as well as they seem to be. My SHO had so much plastic on it that if it was to catch on fire,I probably would not have gotten out quick enough.Speaking of that car,I finally unloaded it.GAVE it to my brother in law just to free up my driveway.

·
Registered
187 Posts
RCastle said:
A good friend of mine has an 04 F150.He had to have the ball joints replaced after approx. 7500 miles. He is always pulling jokes and B.S ing around so I did not believe him when he told us. I had to climb under his truck before I was convinced. So many parts are made from plastic and rubber any more to get the weight down for fuel economy standards,that I am surprised that new cars are holding up as well as they seem to be. My SHO had so much plastic on it that if it was to catch on fire,I probably would not have gotten out quick enough.Speaking of that car,I finally unloaded it.GAVE it to my brother in law just to free up my driveway.
LOL I remember being at Home Depot and a guy got his truck hit in the parking lot. I forget the make, maybe a Chevy, but you should have seen his face when he found out the fender that was hit was plastic! I had to laugh.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
I bought my '88 T-bird new, and it had a multitude of squeaks and rattles, probably why nobody bought it until the after-the-'89s-came-out leftover sale. I spent about an hour tightening screws, adjusting sway bars, etc, etc, etc, and it quietened down just great. It's been a d*** good car ever since, and has even done some fair truck-oid duty. It just turned 180,000 miles, and very little has gone wrong that couldn't be blamed on some idiot human or simply old age/normal wear & tear. Knock on wood, it's never made me walk, and it's got the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in, car or otherwise.

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update------

Just took the truck in for the regular servicing--
Had a serious heart to heart with the Quick lube guy---He is very aware that I am not happy about not getting a condition report--checklist

While the quick lube people were working on it, I took a leisurely stroll over to the service dept. The service writer that took the truck in originally was just leaving---his last day I guess---And he and I started verbalizing with the service writer on duty.

(the reason I went back to service----truck still has a severe pull to the left and now, THE WHOLE TRUCK SHAKES WHEN i APPLY THE BRAKES---)
(rotors turned, new pads, front alignment, 27,000 mi)

This service guy asked me to bring the truck back next week, and he will get to the bottom of this. He also stated that with an alignment, I was supposed to get a printout of before and after. Which I did not get and specifically asked for.

Guess we will see what happens next week.

Bryan

·
Some Punk Kid
786 Posts
I have seen enough crap at my job (all lincolns) wont see a ford in my stable.
Anyone ever see a crank pulley just fall off an engine, a new engine I might add?

EDIT - I believe it had 20k on it. Still in infancy.

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
fords do have transmission problems, i have had two fords as company cars and at about 35k-50k stand by the transmission is going to go, in fact I had a Taurus that puked the transmission exactly at the 35k and 70k mark like clock work. In 2000 a co worker got a ford tough truck and I swear 1 week later it was back for the , you guessed it transmission, to there credit they did put a new one in.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.