Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
It's shady under this tree...
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question for you Ford junkies.

My 1993 Ford F150 has developed a small problem. Earlier this month, the rear main seal decided to spring a small leak. And I was wondering if I had to pluck the engine out, flip it over and replace the rear seal, or can I pull the tranny out, drop the pan a bit and replace the seal that way??

I ask this because in a few months I will be relocating to the Raleigh, NC area from here in Arizona. And I will be towing my Trans Am behind it along with some of my tools and junk that didn't make it in the moving van. And I don't have the time to yank the engine out being that it's my daily driver.

The truck is a '93 F150 extended cab long bed with the Tow package and the 5.8 FI. It's the first Ford I have ever owned, and has made me respect Ford trucks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I did a oil pump change on an old beater 91 a few years back, as well as the rear main and did not yank the engine or the tranny, yeah it was a bit of a pain, but I slipped a floor jack with a 2x12 under the oil pan, undid the motor mounts jacked the engine up as far as I could get it, jammed steel and wood between the frame and block and went to town on the pan....

·
It's shady under this tree...
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay cool. I'll have time to do that. But I am assuming that I still have to disconnect the torque convertor?? I looked at a picture of the rear main seal and it looks like a big o-ring.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
I feel fairly sure that the 5.8 Ford in 93 had a one piece rear main seal. You better find out for sure before you tear into it.

You will have to pull the trans and converter rearward, and remove the flexplate to install the seal. You don't have to break into the engine at all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts