Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 1953 for customline . the rear in it now is 8 inch ford out of 1976 couger.I wanted to know about maybe putting in 8.8 rear out of 1988 mark VII. is the 8.8 worth putting money in it ? also the 8.8 would have to narrowed about 4 inches any thoughts thanks paul

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
The 8" is a better/stronger rear. If the assembly is from a 76 intermediate, are you sure it is not a nine inch?

What type of power do you have?

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
-Read this article concerning- FORD 8" and 9" rears and how to indentify.

If it is an 8", it will be stronger and easier to modify (separate carrier) than the 8.8" (plus it is already setup for leaf springs). You should be able to sell the 8.8" to a MUSTANG nut to exchange for his 7.5".

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the tip. I checked out the article and I think the 8 inch is 1978 ford. gear ratio 2.79:1. I was going to install 4 link system from air ride tech. can I use this rear? and convert to disc brakes?

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
You can use any rear as you are going to what...airbags and a four link? So the tubes have to be modified with either rear end asm.

The 8" is good up to approx. 400HP. I don't care for the 8.8" as it has C-Clip axles and the axle shaft is the actual wheel bearing race, and you have to set it up in the car. So doing what you are doing is basically a toss-up as to which design you prefer.

Disc brakes came OEM on the 8.8" and a MARK VII retrofit is easy on the 8".

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think i am going to use 8" rear. do you know if the brakets and calipers from the 1988 mark vII will work on the 8" rear? I been trying to find out about the lincoln rear as which one is in there .I thought it was 8.8 but i found some pictures of the bolt pattern it looks like a7.5 . i can not find info on the tag #.

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
If it is an 8", it will be stronger and easier to modify (separate carrier) than the 8.8"
I have been reading that the 8.8 is stronger than the 8 here on hotrodders.

I have been considering the newer Explorer 8.8 in my S-10 project for the availability of parts and the disc brakes already on it, plus it's the right width without modification.

From my point of view it isn't any different in construction than what I already have (all GM), but it is MUCH stronger than the 7.5 I currently have to remove from the truck.

I am looking at a rough 350 pounds of torque output from the new engine to start with (horsepower is pointless when talking about diesel).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts