Hot Rod Forum banner

Ford SHO

2K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Darque_Vixen 
#1 ·
I was just reading some of the old threads in the forum. Someone asked why a ford with a yamaha engine? All I got to say is try doing a tire burn with a SHO then do one with any other car and tell me the difference. The SHO has power, beautiful classic sleeper car.

Mine's a Ruby red 95 MTX, racing car seats and all *lol, we have three kids*. I love the looks on the faces of those young punks that drive their souped up little civics when I leave them eating my dust at the lights.

The secondaries are awsome, love the sound of them, better than chocolate or sex for that matter :p

Sheal

#5 ·
Just got myself a 95 SHO as well. Fully loaded, leather, moon roof, CD, keyless, the works. It HAULS TAIL, handles GREAT, I love it.

My brother just about crapped his pants when I told him I bought it. First, "ANOTHER FORD!" (My wife drives a 96 Windstar) then the Yamaha motor, "Japan junk". A few weeks later I picked him up to go with me somewhere. As I got on the freeway took the entrance ramp at about 60, he said...."Hee, it handles pretty good". I put my foot in it on the way back as I pulled into traffic and he started asking "This motor was made by Yamaha or just designed by them", all of of sudden my little 3.2 liter Japan Junk was of interest to him.

I havn't raced mine but from some guys I have chatted with my stock car should turn about 14.50s at 97 or so MPH. Well I'll tell you what, that is what my 65 Gran Sport 401 turns with street tires, pretty darn impressive if you ask me.
Yes, I really like this car.

#8 ·
Your 97 Sho

Is your 97 Sho MTX or ATX? I have a few contacts where I might be able to get you that tranny. I have a throw out bearing and clutch job to do this summer. As well as a break job. Our slider pins on the calipers in the back are suppose to slide freely with just a hand...they slide freely only ... with a hammer *lol* I also need to do an oil change. Yes I do all my own mech work on my cars. I don't trust a outside mech with my baby. Besides why pay 1500 dollars to change a throw out bearing and clutch when I can get the parts at cost for about 300 and do it myself when I have access to the equipement I need right!

Sheal :thumbup:

#9 ·
Your lucky to find a mechanic willing to do a clutch in an SHO for that price.I did my own after I was quoted almost $3000.00 to do it.Truth of it is,if someone asked me to do theirs.I would not do it for less than $2000.00 eiither.The SHO is nice until you start replacing parts.Checked out the price of a set of GOOD plug wires for it?$300.00 from Ford or most SHO specialty shops.Look at the price for the intake gaskets.I wish I could get rid of mine.Sitting there in my drive,doing nothing except costing me taxes every year.Man,I just went and paid taxes and tags on it,my Malibu and two vans!!!!I need to go smoke,I am upset again!!

#10 ·
Tranny Job

I don't use another mech, I do the work myself, well me and my husband do our own mech work, if you have a blend door actuator that goes in your heating system, we know how to turn it into an analog instead of a digital if you don't mind a coat hanger being used to flip it open and closed for your heat or ac *lol*. Uhm, btw pulling your whole dash off is bloody frustrating when you have that many bolts *lol*. What a job that was. I can get the parts for about 300 dollars through a contact I have (my uncle who is a mech). We also bypassed our multi function switch because it died and we had no headlights, we now have a simple flip switch for our headlights right now until we can find a new multi function switch. Oh the joys of mechanical work on a SHO, sometimes you have to get a little creative! :rolleyes:

Sheal

#11 ·
boy you will have fun with that throwout bearing. I just pulled an SHO out of an 89 that I would like to throw into a little t-bucket in down the road. (who am i kidding, with the price of parts for this motor it will just sit in the garage collecting dust! ) anyway i would not want to be replacing that clutch. I think the preferred method is to drop the whole front frame, suspension and eng/trans out the bottom and go from there. That engine compartment is TIGHT! I had a heck of a time yanking that motor and i was pretty hard on the parts that i knew i wouldn't use. of course i left the tranny in which made it really tough. on reflection i understand why these cars are dirt cheap used, but if you can find a good one they sure are fun to use/abuse!

#12 ·
That is exacxtly what you do.Remove front tires.remove sterring rack,front axles,sterring tie rod ends.Remove motor mounts.support the engine(I used a sling on top and two jack stands on the bottom.Drop the front sub frame down and push it back until it hit the stands.Uncouple the trans from the engine,remove and lowertrans to get it out from under the car.The throw out uses a PLASTIC/NYLON pin to hold it togather.Do not get me wrong,for a six it is almost as good as they get.Would never hold a clue to a Turbo6 Buick,but it is still potent.Just a pain.Parts are outrageous.Do the timing chains on one in the car.You will definently use every colorful word in your vocabulary.

#17 ·
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/693469

I love my car, even if it is worse for wear right now. Its comfortable, fast, and practical, cept for maybe the engine at times :drool: Its kinda high maintainence, but once you keep it in good shape you can floor it, as far as I know, up to like 300k miles. All I know is I love the car and its perfect for me to drive everyday :D

#19 ·
I really lucked out, I only paid $1800 for mine. It was bought new by my best friend for $29,950! He kept it until 98 and gave it to his mom who recently passed away. His wife was driving it as a "hoopty car" to work. He called it his wifes "hoopty car" even though he loved it, you see, he has REAL nice cars. His wifes other cars are a 2002 Z06 Vette, a totally restored 64 Vette coupe with ac and powerwindows (a rare one) and he has THREE other Vettes including a 63 FI race car. So this "old" SHO was a "hoopty car" to her.
He replaced it by flying to NC (from here in Ca) to buy her the red VW Golf R32 she wanted. You want to talk about WILD,that car is incredable!

It has 95,000 miles. It's body is near perfect white, all original, as in the leather int. It has been maintained with synthetic oil changes and super regular servicing.

The funny thing is, I have been driving my 65 Buick Skylark everyday for the past five years. It was a wonderful car but I had gotten tired of the lack of ac, good window defrosters, just general comfort. Plus, it had about 200,000 on the motor and was getting a little soft. I bought the SHO for $1800, sold the Skylark on Ebay for $2800. I put $1000 in the bank and I am MUCH happier driving the SHO.
I still have my 65 Gran Sport Conv in the garage and the SHO doesn't attract the "undesirables" like the Skylark did.

Heck, this SHO is MY Z06! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.