Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1974 Ford Torino 302 2 door runs rough then dies. I have tried replacing the fuel pump, fuel line, fuel filter and air filter, Spark plug wires and spark plugs, vacuum valve on the transmission, all vacuum lines, complete distributor, timing chain, rebuilt carb, coil, solenoid, and more. I am out of ideas. Please Help. Thanks

·
Administrator
8,211 Posts
When does it quit. Right after starting, hot or cold ???????
Does it quit after driving a while , more info please
Did you personnay check for fuel and spark?
Have you changed the fuel filter at the carburetor?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When does it quit. Right after starting, hot or cold ???????
Does it quit after driving a while , more info please
Did you personnay check for fuel and spark?
Have you changed the fuel filter at the carburetor?
It runs bad in park and drive and it can die in both park and drive
I personally check
The fuel filter is good
Thanks

·
Registered
238 Posts
Do those just go bad with just 111000 miles on a car? Thanks
Your welcome.

They could be fine at 311000 miles or go bad at 11 miles.

The carburetor gasket at the intake manifold is another possible. There are similar engine topics at the bottom of the page from other members where the final outcome may be reported.

·
Registered
257 Posts
:welcome:
thanks That is a good idea. Is that easy to change? Could I do it myself?

Yes, it isn't too bad, unless you have to drop the tank to gain access to the pickup assembly. The pick-up uses a lock-ring that has to be turned/tapped into it's locking position. There is an O-ring under the pick-up assembly where it meets the tank and it can be tricky to get it back in the correct position, but not too awful bad.
Also, does your engine still have an EGR valve/plate under the carb, these are notorious for causing similar issues to what your are describing. It may be completely plugged with carbon or have a rotted spot in the casting, you will have to remove carb to gain access. Good luck. Todd

1 - 20 of 52 Posts