Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a mid 70's Ford 3 speed W/ overdrive. The shift linkage is all internal, and the shifter inserts into a well on the tail shaft. The case is all aluminum. Would this trans stand up to a really horsey engine? It was origionally behind a 351 W, in an F-100.

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
Max Keith said:
I have a mid 70's Ford 3 speed W/ overdrive. The shift linkage is all internal, and the shifter inserts into a well on the tail shaft. The case is all aluminum. Would this trans stand up to a really horsey engine? It was origionally behind a 351 W, in an F-100.
You have a later SROD 4/S. The design is basically the same as the origional Toploader. The previous O/D design was as the Toploader with 3rd and 4th turned around but had the external shift levers starting in 74. FORD sold the rights to TREMEC and the SROD was made in MEXICO.

You can change gearsets back and forth but it is a weaker transmission.

-MEL Engine Forum-

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ford trannie

Thanks for the info. My main curiosity is if it would handle abuse from an engine putting out 350-400 hp, for any lenth of time, like in a light weight street rod.

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
Yes, it will take it as it actually is a base TOPLOADER. You will have to watch for input shaft length (differences between GRANADA and MUSTANG of the period), shifter location (widened tailshaft housing) and speedometer drive.

Do you happen to have a tag number (assembly number) off yours?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ford trannie

I havent looked for a tag on it. The only thing I can say positive on identification is that it was taken out of a mid 70's F-100, from behind a 351W.

Since the wife is more interested in playing with a turkey than she is me, I decided to check out that tag on the transmission.
The tag reads the following:

RUG DT DB20
E1TRCB 0523

If I read that number right, this transmission is an 81, however, as I said before, the guy I got it from told me he took it out of a mid 70's Ford F-100.
I have no clue as to what the other code numbers mean.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ford trannie

It must have been swapped in from a later model truck then.
Im thinking it would make a good trans for a low buck street rod, and with the OD, could run a real decent set of gears in the rear, like 4.11's, and would still come up with a 2.88 final in OD, which would make good for hiway running. Does that trans have the capability of changing the ratios on low and second, to make them a little closer ratiod? Most conventional Ford 3 speeds Ive run into had a 3.18 low and 1.75 or there abouts second gear.
I am thinking with a 4.11 rear a low gear of around 2.80-2.90 would work great, especially in a light car.

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
I would think that you could swap from close to open raito gearsets. This is forgotten technology as the introduction of the 5/S really put this transmission to bed. I have an older (1982) tech article on the series (GRANADA and MUSTANG-no mention of the truck series). You would actually have to get into the MPC parts lists to see what is interchangeable or not.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ford trannie

Thanks KULTULZ,
I appreciate your help, and that was an interesting site on the MEL blocks. One of my earliest cars was a 59 Park Lane Cruiser 2 dr with a 58 Super Marauder 430 in it, Back in 65.

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
Glad it was some help. There was a shop in CA that did a lot of work on these things. I think it was called Sticks-Only.

As for gear ratios, the two car models came with either a 20% OD or a 30% OD. Replacement parts will be a bear, but most things like bearings and synch. are still available from specialty shops.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ford trannie

Kewl, I am not so much conserned about changing gear ratios in the trans as I am the possibility of having to replace bearings etc. While as I mentioned earlier, going to a 2.90-2.80 low, with a 4.11 gear would be a great setup.

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
...the possibility of having to replace bearings
It's a TOPLOADER, so shops like -David Key- are a good source for bearings, blocker rings and small parts.

The TOPLOADER has the rear mainshaft bearing pressed into the case and there is a special service tool available from FORD to make this easier to remove/install for disassembly. Let me know if you think you will need it and I will give you the PN's.

I think HURST made a shifter for them, but you might want to find an OLD GRANADA or MUSTANG for a shifter that will work. I remember the truck model shifter as being tall.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ford trannie

Im not planning any project using this trans any time in the near future, but its nice to have the information on hand in advance.
My hoped for project would be to put this behind a 302 or 351W in a 23-25 T roadster kit car, with a fiberglass body. Could well be a year before I can start. I like to plan ahead. LOL

·
Are we having fun yet?
213 Posts
David Kee is MR. TOPLOADER. Thats where I get my parts.
Hey KULTULZ, my friend got his flexplate from that link you sent.
Thanks, Norm.

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
:thumbup:

Am Looking For Factory/Aftermarket Speed Parts For The MEL (Merc-Edsel-Linc-TBird) Engine Family (383-410-430-462) Produced From 1958 To 1968

Also Early FORD Special Service Tools

1 - 15 of 15 Posts