Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
I see hotrodding circling the drain ! Just get 1 of those Styrofoam mock up engine blocks , bolt all the usual hot rod parts to it , then set it over the electric motor ! SMH !
This will save the classic car culture in a lot of states/countries. The future of emissions regulation is only going to get more stringent.

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,643 Posts
This will save the classic car culture in a lot of states/countries. The future of emissions regulation is only going to get more stringent.
i so agree with your statement. once the gas motors can't compete with the electrics at the track, most hotrodders will come around. i hate carbs, the day i saw the announcement for the gm ramjet 350 about 2002, i knew that was my 58TRUK motor. still lovin' it. i'd go electric in a heartbeat, power tour would be very doable in an electric truk.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
i so agree with your statement. once the gas motors can't compete with the electrics at the track, most hotrodders will come around. i hate carbs, the day i saw the announcement for the gm ramjet 350 about 2002, i knew that was my 58TRUK motor. still lovin' it. i'd go electric in a heartbeat, power tour would be very doable in an electric truk. 2old2fast needs to update to 2old2dead, cuz his pacemaker just read this
Thank you so much for the personal attack , simply because we have difference of opinion , feel better now ?

·
Banned
5,557 Posts
I stand on the fence wondering where rodding will go, having pondered the question of engine or motor for future self and made a few observations. No conclusions except one: It isn't an engine.

Motors may mostly replace engines in my time but probably not in the time others on the forum have left. Who knows? Some think within their life span, others don't. I have thought about this since before the first Tesla powered kits hit the news. My car might have room for a couple, haha.

An electric could serve the purpose my 455 does and might be faster.

Without gas V8 sound and smell, the retro vibe is neutered. Old car body is the only thing left to cling to. If you like full frame luxury coupe ride, thats a factor.

Cost... it'll be a long time before theres a contest there. Until gas price forces the issue. The issue of whether electric is a noble alternative is arguable.

The article posted, if as the heading states you are someone who can be into gizmos, tells me they are out to kick legs from under arguments against such a thing. For example:

Henry would probably not mind this at all. Just speculation there, which I have no authority to make.

Looks like the unit will go between prewar rails. Or early unibody ones.

Last but not least, if you are a Ford purist... now you'll have an electric option.

I don't think much about it. But when I imagine electric in a classic, its no. When I imagine the torque, thats a hard nudge. When I imagine the cost, I pull a Windows XP and stop responding.

·
Registered
443 Posts
There is a whole segment of rodding dedicated to nostalgic vehicles that they call "hot rods". Most of them use engines that aren't really competitive with todays muscle cars, but they enjoy them and the noise and discomfort as they take part in our history. As new cars get even faster and even more mundane, ICE powered cars will always have a special place in some peoples hearts. People will walk by a Tesla pretty quickly while they stand and stare at an ICE powered hot rod.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
I dont run a electric converstion for the same reasons I dont run a rotary.
Cost and limited availability(adding to cost).

If a rotary were as available as a 5.3 then without a doubt I would have a 3 or 4 pack going in the s10 pile instead of the 5.3.

But the availability and cost make a 5.3 a obvious choice for the next 10 years so thats whats going in.

These conversations have always been expensive. Lets say 8 to 18k(options) all done with you doing a majority of the work.

Once more electric cars hit the roads and these motors get into junk yards hotrodding will embrace what you can do stacking motors like rotary blocks.

As with any new thing there will be a learning curve and you know the manufacturers are going to build in some walls to climb over technical wise.

I still thing ICE will rule hotrodding for another 12 years until there are enough electrics running around to make the choice between a hp and kw a coin toss cost wise.

There will be old rides. I like old cast inline 4 blocks. But I also respect that a overhead cam 4 cylinder engine is so much easier to work on, is half the weight, fuel injected, and often double the horsepower.
So from a hotrodding view the choice is not hard which one to run.

I love TBI. Restricted heads, limited tuning, heavy, and dumb as far as how it all works. But it all does work. I have had 250 to 300k out of a TBI with just maintance.

That being said the 2 TBI trucks I have now will both have fueling systems capable to run a LS engine. Because that is the eventual obvious swap move. When that changes to electric becoming the obvious choice in 10 to 20 years then the LS will come out.

Guys will always run a old iron SBC. But the availability will change. I use to run sbc's hard offroad and just hard in general. If the engine lasted 2 years or 10,000 miles it was a surprise. I often threw in a new to me $800to$1000 engine when I did a clutch and had a backup longblock sitting somewhere.
But finding a good slightly built complete sbc for $800 is no longer as available. So I moved onto the next step to TBI for a bit. Now that those are running out I have started collecting LS engines.

When electric becomes more available then I will make that move and beat the snot out of those motors before swapping them out.

I have a 68 472 sitting on my garage floor. The thing is a high nickel, high compression engine with points and leaded valves. The thing has potential to someday become a 540. So I have kept it around. But realistically the cost involved and what the use of such a engine would be used for I find it difficult to justify building it into that when there are just better options for much cheaper that will do the same thing that 540 can do better.
Now a 540 is cool and I respect it. But I dont see myself ever building one at this point.

The 472 does not take up much room so it sits in the pile on a crate. But eventually it will be sold.

Things move. You can be nostalgic over a old engine but sometimes it just does make sence to run it anymore.
I love steam engines. But they have been replaced. Diesel. Im sorry but thats going the same route as steam. It just can not handle the regulation. They are clawing at fixes but really diesel has been dieing for over 10 years. Just look at the emissions equipment required to run one currently.
A turbocharged gas engine of similar size has the potential to replace a turbocharged diesel being lighter, more powerful, and inline with emissions standards.

Eventually this will move to electric. But frankly I have surprised several people I made it past 30. Now 41 I look forward to electric. But I dont see gasoline engines ever being threatened in my lifetime.

As far as conversions go I will walk right past a stock Telsa. I am a firm supporter of "Right to repair" and Telsla is not. So screw Telsa just on that basis.

But I will drool over a Meyers Minx with a Tesla motor in it.

Hotrodding is all about taking something and making it into something you personally feel is better. I feel electric has a place cruising along side big blocks. People will have different opinions on whats "better". But at the end of the day they are not in the drivers seat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.