Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am posting this in the body sub forum although it is for the interior of my project, because it is forming metal.

I want to form a recessed "dent" to house a vehicle make/brand badge/emblem.
I could just glue it on and call it good, but I think it'll look more finished, more correct for the era with a detail like that.
Will the metal stretch enough to do this?
I am thinking a 2x4 with the badge/emblem shape carved/cut out, and then another small piece of 2x4 with a piece of metal that is 1/16th thicker and longer and wider than the emblem.
Then use them like a tool and die with a hyd. press to dent the metal, so the badge/emblem sits in the dent when finished.
Should I heat the metal to help with the forming of the dent,recess?
Thanks.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,460 Posts
You could do something like that but where is it going to go? If it's in a large flat area like a door skin or something there is a VERY good chance it will distort the whole panel if that much metal is "distorted" in such a tight spot.

Brian

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could do something like that but where is it going to go? If it's in a large flat area like a door skin or something there is a VERY good chance it will distort the whole panel if that much metal is "distorted" in such a tight spot.

Brian
Small interior trim removable metal panels maybe 9" around. To cover/hide non-stock equipment.
The panels being laser straight or not, isn't a big deal. It is more of making the not era correct parts, either look era correct, or hidden.
One emblem might hide the electric cutout button, push emblem and it open/close them.
Another covering/hiding the flame thrower button. one to cover the ubs plug. Stuff like that.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
you "could" form it like you are saying but why not just cut out the opening to the size you want and glue a piece behind it. This will get you nice crisp corners with little to no effort. :)
Mark

·
Registered
17 Posts
im not a pro but you could handle this a few ways. all require welding.

1. form some 20 gauge steel aroujnd the emblem, get it perfect, cut out that shape where you want it, then weld it in place, and clean it up real nice. this would make the floor round.
2. cut out the shape in steel, cut out a strip of 20 gauge steel and basically form a cookie cutter that the emblem can sit in, tack in place, weld to finish. weld in the hole you made. this would leave the floor where the emblem sits really crisp.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.