Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a shifter out there for a Muncie M20....that mounts more forward than the normal rear of the tail mounting? This Model A is pretty limited to where i can put the shifter!!!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Shifter move

That might be a tough go. You can try to mount the shifter forward of the reverse arm of the trans, This would require reverse to now be engaged in the opposite direction. The reverse rod is already rather short.
This approach also puts the shifter further outboard as well as forward which might encroach upon your leg room and acces to your gas pedal.
I don't know if my picture adds any value, but I've had to cut and reweld my shifter to move the shift lever further to the right and a bit forward for leg room and seat clearance.

Attachments

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
You may need to make a custom bracket to move the shifter fwd and use some shorter shifter rods to make it work..You can get rod ends and sleeves that would work for that and make for a smooth shifter..

Sam

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
shifter

I spent a couple long evenings making new brackets, reworking the shifting rods heating and bending the shift handle to get it all to work. I have A packard trans in one of my roadsters, no one made a shift kit for it. S 10 T 5's have a foreward shift handle. But it's a toss up whether to sell what you have to put in a T 5.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Old thread, but did you ever solve this? I'm in the same boat.
I ended up mounting the shifter on the "rear set of mounting holes" on the Muncie. Then I fabricated a solid block of steel, at an angle towards the dash, that fit exactly into the top of the shifter bracket, and then bolted the shift arm to that. So everything was moved forward.
PS: I used what I think is a Mopar Hurst shifter stick, which has about a 4" offset at the bottom to the right, so it ended up coming up in the center of the floor....
Hope this helps!
Good Luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.