Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1946 Ford coupe that I turned into a street rod. Should I have boxed the frame? If so, is there a kit available?

·
Administrator
18,432 Posts
I am sure that there are no kits available.

It all depends on how much stress you new engine etc is going to put on that frame. Your frame should be fairly strong on it's own, unless you have some "Monster" motor in there.

Besides, it's kind of late now, right?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right it is late, but I think it can be done. I just noticed while looking under the car that where the running board supports were bolted onto the frame, I did not put the bolts back in. The cross members are bolted to the frame at the same location. I will put the bolts back in ASAP. I wonder if that will give me more strength?
Thanks

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
The "X" member is what gives these cars more frame strength. Most of these frames are not boxed unless a real monster of a motor and a drag race rear end setup is used. But, be sure all the rivets and bolts are re-used. Many people cut into the X member for tranny clearance or mounting and destroy the boxing effect that the stock rivets and plates give. Then you get strange noises, doors act funny, hoods get crazy fit ( not that they fit good to start with).

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,858 Posts
Street Rod Engineering out of Lake Havasau, AZ., has boxing kits. here Good stuff, I've purchased from them. Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts