Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
DriveItLikeItsSupostToBeD riven
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I finally got myself a pair of bolt on frame connectors from competition engineering for my 67 Firebird. I got the drivers side connector mounted and about a 2 inch section of the floor is hitting and pushing a little on the connector. Could this cause any problems? or should I just not worry about it?
Any advise or suggestions would be great.
Thanks.

·
Registered
17,612 Posts
A couple of whacks with a hammer will make it right with the world. The car may have been in an accident at one time and bowed the floor down a little.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
:welcome: Of course you installed your frame connectors while you had your chassis all square and straight :) on a frame machine........ didn't you? Or did you put it together solid so that it would stay crooked?

Just asking. :welcome:

·
Stroked Z28
230 Posts
Unibody cars flex & floor boards can sag over time...Put a 2x4 along side the frame connector where the floor sags & lift up with a jack. It will push the floor up and won't leave dents from the hammer (hammers & me don't mix ;) ).

·
Stroked Z28
230 Posts
xntrik said:
:welcome: Of course you installed your frame connectors while you had your chassis all square and straight :) on a frame machine........ didn't you? Or did you put it together solid so that it would stay crooked?

Just asking. :welcome:
Did anybody catch the episode on the Sunday morning power block the other week where they put frame connectors on the Nova? He actually put the car on stands to "take the flex" out of the body. They showed the before & after door gaps.

Very scary thought there.

However, when I bought my frame connectors from Alston Racing, they told me it really doesn't matter too much. He said the most important thing is to get them welded in - even if they are "bolt-on". You car will be as straight as it was before you put them on...

·
DriveItLikeItsSupostToBeD riven
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All my door gaps look good to me. I would not want them to move in any way. I maybe be wrong but I think it is good the way it sits. I did not do any more work yet since my last post. The one side is just bolted up. I think I am going to do the other side and see if it also touches there. I think I am just going to bolt them up for now drive it for a little while and if there are no squeaks or unusual noises from them touching the flour then I will weld them in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts