Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 1929 Model A Sedan that needs a new frame. I was all set to buy an original frame until I saw a complete chassis and running gear for sale with a flathead engine in it. I don't know what year the frame is yet (32-?) but am interested in it if my Sedan body will fit on it without a lot of work. I know the 32 frame is used under a lot of Model A roadster Hi-boys so the Sedan should also fit. Ive heard about "pinching" the '32 frame so the front of the body fits better. Is the '32 frame the same dimension as some later year frames? Can the Model A fenders, side aprons and running boards be used with the later frame? Yes, I know you can make a body fit any frame depending on how much work you want to do but I'm looking for something that isn't too involved. Trying to get an idea of what is involved before I go to look at this later chassis. Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
7,531 Posts
'32 Frames can fit on a Model A if you pinch the rails at the front. Fender brackets you will need to fab, but That wouldn't be hard. Anything later than a '32 Frame is generally going to be too big. Cars enlarged in a relatively short period of time between 1929 and 1940.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
A 1932 Ford frame has a 106 inch wheelbase and the Model A has a 103 inch wheelbase ... so making the fenders work is a CHORE not lightly undertaken.

The 32 frame is a lot stronger ( original 32 verus original Model A )
It has each end of the frame rails are stepped upward ( over each axle ) ... were the Model A frame is straight.

See how flimsy the Model A frame is ??? :D

See the steps at the end of the 32 frame ??
I would only advise going to the 32 chassis IF you are going fenderless

DEUCE ... Moderator :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Deuce, Any chance that Model A chassis and running gear is for sale?!
That is the FIRST and ONLY Model A stuff I have ever owned :rolleyes:

Took in because a guy owed me some money and could not pay.
Finally sold it to a Model A restorer ... for half of what it should be worth.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.