Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My frame has so much work into it that I want to make sure it lasts as long as I hope to have to the truck, at least 10-20 years and that I don't get any rust from the inside out. I am a big fan of zero-rust which has been great. I was planning on painting it with that, as I have with the axles.. But, because there is a lot of exposed metal on the inside from the modifications and some fresh steel and welds, I am considering maybe getting the frame galvanized.. I have seen it gloppy but I'm not sure yet if that is a big deal to me or not as I'm more concerned with rust than cosmetics of the frame at least.. I have already had the frame sand blasted before I did all this work. It was powdercoated from the factory (it is a late model frame), so there is a lot of powdercoating on the inside already so I cannot get it powder coated again I don't think? Or if i did would it trap current rust and bubbling from fumes I've noticed from when I have welded?

So my choices are:
hot dip, powdercoat the inside, then maybe zero rust the outside
or powder coat the whole thing?

hot dip, galvanize. Maybe grind any spots where there is outragious glopping and cosmetically clean up before prepping for zerorust again?

Simply leave as is and zero rust and not get everything?

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
If you can flood those inside spots with the zero rust it should be fine..I just did a bit of work on a 20 year old tube frame and yes it was rusty inside but not enough to cause concern for the structural integrity of the tube..

Sam

1 - 2 of 2 Posts