Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Calling all frame guys. I have just pulled the body from my 37 pontiac and have started cleaning the frame with a wire brush. I was cleaning the top of the frame where it kicksup over the reaend and noticed the top of the frame looks rippled. Is this normal for this period. The frame is a C channel and the lower part of the C is smooth it is just the top that seems rippled. I have seen this before on pipes coming from a pipe bender. The first thing I did when I noticed the buckling was check frame square. It is in perfect square. Both sides of the frame shows the ripples. Is this common of period frames.

The other question I had deals with pitting. How much pitting is to much? There is ery litlle pitting on my frame but the spots that are pitted are about the size of golfball divots. No holes through the frame.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to determine the condition of the frame to decide whether to just go the subframe forn route and box the rear or to break down and start with a new frame.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Those ripples are not a problem. Remember, we're talking about a mass production car frame here, not a fender or door. The pitting is not really a problem unless it is concentrated heavily in one area. Usually the "weak" points, those most prone to rust, in early frames are the joints between the x-member legs and the frame rails, any double wall areas with open seams to the front, and crossmembers which are box sections.
If all is square you can proceed and build a really nice car. Have fun!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Pitted frame

After you get it cleaned up with the wire wheel, take a 2 lb. hammer and go over the frame with it. The idea is to loosen up any "tight" rust that may be hiding "swiss cheese" in the metal. Make sure to hit both the sides and the flanges of the rails.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts