a rolling chassis . I don't think it is for this car. technical info for this
frame seems scarce. what are the dims front to back for proper
front axle placement . also this is a fenderless project. I have noticed
several 34 cars with 106 wheel bases . since this is 6 inches short
what is the purpose of this .

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
106 inches is kinda a std for fenderless cars..or course you can do what you want since it is your car..I have the pic and dimensions for an "A" but not for a 34..Sad to say

If the chassis you have is in good condition I see no reason not to use it..there are repro 34 chassis available but then those can get a bit spendy so you will need to evaluate the condition of the bank account before making that choice..Depends on wher you wanat to be when done.

If you stretch it to 112" there will be more room in front of the firewall which is not a bad thing in my estimation..

Now do some searches on the site and I know there is quite a bit more available.

Sam

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

Thanks , for your quick reply , I was wondering if the lenth change was
for looks or technical reasons . I have been looking the site over
and have found several answers already. good site , Thanks again

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
Does your frame have a serial number stamped in it?

If the number begins with an "18" then it is a 32 frame, and if it has a "40" in front it is a 33-34.

Check the measurements on that wescott's site. they are pretty accurate.

Here is a link to the early ford serial number website that can give you the locations of those numbers.

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_serialnumbers.htm

Later, mikey

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
You don't need a number to ID a 32 frame. The siderails have a smile indented in them which begins just ahead of the froint body mount, follows the fender contour down to the bottom of the rail and goes all the way back to the end of the runningboard.

By the way, the ID numbers from 32-34 for 4 cyl cars start with B-, the ID numbers for 32-38 for V8 cars start with 18-.

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
You are right, the numbers I put were model numbers. My bad :(

The ID of a 32 frame is obvious, the dimple is in the pic of the 32 frame that is on the wescotts website.

I thought that serial numbers would help to ID the frame if it was a 33 34 that had been shortened, or if it was a ford frame at all.

The serial numbers as listed in that van pelt sales website seem to agree with what you say, although they dont show the 4 cylinder models and they show a beginning number of "54" for a V8 60 37 through 40.

Mikey

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.