Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1973 Internation 1110 2wd PU.... Long bed, single cab, heavy springs (going away for a paralell 4 link)
The plan is/was to put in a narrowed Ford 9" rear, but after bed removal I realized that the current D44 is pretty much at the frame rails. So, in order to put in the 9", I would need to narrow the frame.
It's a C channel style frame, think old F100 type.

What's my best bet for maintaining strength and narrowing this frame in?
I can weld, fab, etc.. not worried on my skills. I'm more concerned with maintaining the integrity/strength of the frame. thinking along this in lines of narrowing, pardon the dumb graphics...

\ /
| |
/ \

Thoughts? Concerns?

TIA
Mike

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Hey Mike, welcome to the site!
What is the design intent? Pro Street? REALLY big tires? Your best method would be to cut the rear rails in front of the intended tire. Put in a 2 x 4 crossmember and then build straight back off the crossmember.
Kind of like this:
[__]
| |
Use 2 x 4 rectangular for all of the new stuff. 1/8" or 3/16" wall will work depending on your end usage.
Mark

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not a pro-street rig by any means... but I was hoping for some wider tires and a low stance.... more of a go fast/cruiser build...

I considered the cut and straighten as you posted as well, but with the bed going back on, I was hoping to keep the same mounting locations on the frame for it.

I started the bodywork on the bed, sealing up holes from PO (camper mount, strange spare tire mount, etc)....its a stock looking ride, very minimal rust.

I guess I can stick with some less wide tires in the rear as well... it was a thought moreso than a need.

Thanks for the welcome
Mike

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
You need to do some measuring. You would be surprised by how much tire you can stuff in there without changing a thing... Drop a bob off the inner fender lip and measure to the spring or frame, closest points. That will give you an idea of how wide you can go.
If you are changing the suspension anyway, push it inboard of the rails to get the maximum amount of room without cutting.
Mark

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah... it sounds like I need to go back to the drawing board....

I guess I was looking at my paralell 4 link on the outside of the frame rails vs tossing them inside or even just leaving the leaf springs and relocating them to under the frame rails, etc...

back to teh drawing board I go!!!

Thanks Mark...

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts