Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i need some help with frame types. i know wut the difference is between unibody and full but i cant find wut types of cars have these. i searched google and couldnt come up with anything. i need the names of 6 cars ( make and model ) with unibody and the names of 6 cars ( make and model ) with full. any help would be GREATLY appreciated

·
Registered
143 Posts
Uni

Chevy Camaro
Nova
Chevelle
Corvette (newer)
Ford Mustang (newer too, not sure of old)
Pretty much every car from like 80 on!

(certain years atleast, mostly newer)

Full

Ford Galaxie
Chevy Impala (old obviously)
Biscayne
32 ford
Model T
Anything pre 1960 pretty much (and that is being safe)

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,296 Posts
These are for sures,
Full frame

1985 Impala
2004 Chevy 1500 pick up
1978 Cad Deville
1972 Chevy Chevelle
1985 Buick Regal
Uni body

1979 Nissan 280ZX
1982 Chevy Camaro
2004 Honda Accord
2002 Toyota Camry
1988 Honda Civic

Chevelles up until 74 or when ever they dropped the name were full frame.
All Corvetes are full frame (unless something has happened the last year or so I don't know about)
68-74 Camaros and Novas are uni body "sort of" They use a full sub frame and the inner fenders and fenders bolt on. By definition they are uni body because they don't have a full frame but they aren't like other "unibodies" with welded in inner fenders and rad support.

And just for fun, a 1934 Chrysler Air flow was a unibody.

·
Registered
417 Posts
If you want to throw a zinger in the list, the '60 to '69 Clark Cortez motor home is unibody construction (front wheel drive, too)

·
machinest & A&P Mechanic
363 Posts
yeah chevelles up to at least 72 were full frame, but lets not forget the nash... some of them were unibody and thats 1950's

·
16,296 Posts
Are you sure? I don't think they did. He is talking about the "Econoline" Van and truck, I believe they were real unibodies.

Brian

·
Super Moderator
18,351 Posts
Maybe, he is................I figured he was talking about the early 60s Ford pickups, that the cab and box sides were all one piece.

Like this one

Sorry about the size.

·
Glad the Jeep is on the road
809 Posts
Yes, the early Econoline vans and trucks were unibodies, built off of Falcon design, and used some common parts as well as parts slightly redesigned. Econoline went frame in 68 or 69 when Falcon got ditched...

BTW that line in Lorain, Ohio will be idled this fall as Econoline production moves down the road to Avon Lake.....after 45 years of loyal service.....

Not sure but I think the early dodge vans and the Chevy Greenbriar might have been unibody too.....

·
16,296 Posts
I know a 2002 ( so I guess 2005) Chevy full size van is a unibody as mentioned previously.

Brian

·
Glad the Jeep is on the road
809 Posts
Useless trivia

The Aerostar was unibody, but the underbody was a sheet metal ladder-box-frame welded to the floor pan. At that time it was what the Ford truck engineers were comfortable with. The plant guys who had built unibody cars laughed and called that part of the body shop the "Polish Cannon".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts