Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upon thorough inspection of the underside of my 58', there is quite a bit of rust. I don't really have the room for a frame off restoration, but don't want to dive in too deep if the frame need serious help. Any pointers on how to determine the extent of the rust damage? Also, any type of undercoatings to prevent further damage? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
Does it have scales? Does it flake off in chunks if you hit it with a hammer? Yes to these questions means you better find room to remove the body and take a better look at the frame. As for coating I just sand blasted my frame and had it powder coated, very recommended.

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
If you don't have the room for a frame off, have never done a frame off, or don't want to get into a frame off, patch what needs to be patched, drive the car and enjoy it. I started out with a few rust holes in my floor pan of my '62 Impala so I figured I would pull the interior, patch it up and be good to go. One thing led to another then another, then another. Now it is off the frame and will probably be another 2 years before it is done. It's already been a year since I had the body stripped. Over a grand just in parts alone just to put in a new floor and some panels for the fenders. If I was you I'd pull the carpet and seats, wire brush and vacuum everything up. Figure up the damage and find someone to weld in patches. There are places around that does the spray in bedliners and people are starting to undercoat their cars with the same material. It's tougher than undercoating and dries harder so the dirt and stones won't stick to it like undercoating.

Good luck,
Have a safe Holiday,
Kevin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts