Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys I just got scambed out of $2000.00 by a guy named HARRY WILMER. I was selling him my carbs from the classified section of this website. Please be aware..

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got a response for my add in the classified section. Anyway HARRY WILMER said his cleint will send me a $2000.00 check. To cover the shipping cost. He supposedly lives in LONDON, UK. He then asked that the remainder of the funds minus what I charged him for the carbs- $100.00 be wired back to his "client". well i did yesterday and this morning he emails me saying his client never got the money via western union . I called western union and they said the money was picked up. I then learned that this is called advanced fee fraud. The $2000.00 did not clear. and i'm left paying it back to my bank while fuk head HARRY WILMER walks off with about $1500.00
And to top it all off my brother passed away last week. geezz what a year this is turning out to be....

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like the master mind behind this is named CHINYELU EGBUJI, this person was the one whom i was to wire the money to. A friend that works a a collection agency sent me some stuff on this guy and he's been scamming people for awhile..

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
honestly my mind wasn't in it's right place , my brother passed away last week. I will just take this as a life lesson, i just wanted to warn people on this site, that's all.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
I've advertised on some hot rod sites where there is a big "Fraud Alert" link or section prominently posted on almost every page. Maybe Jon will take note of this thread and incorporate something like that in our classified section. While those who conduct a lot of business on the web might be well aware of the "future payment" scam, obviously (from this thread) not everyone who uses our classifieds knows about it. While it make sound like overkill to put a link/warning up in the classifieds...it sure can't hurt anything.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
It's a modification of the old Nigerian fake check scam. Sorry you found out so late. :(

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Boy, I thought everyone knew about these scams by now. Someone in a foriegn company want to buy your car, whatever sight unseen, send a check for more then the amount and have you refund the extra. It seems majority of your email inbox is scam of some sort, from this type of scam to someone sending an email looking like it is from paypal or some other legitamite site to try to get you to fill out personal information.
Sorry you got burned.

·
Registered
547 Posts
this guy sent you a check for 2 K,, you deposited it?? I presume?? then took 1500$ and wired that to him?? didn't the bank tell you that the 2 K $ check would take a few days to clear?? did you send him the carbs too? Man this has SCAM written all over it,, sorry for your misfortune,, and for the loss of your brother,, that sucks big time,,,

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
Dude, about 3 weeks ago I had some hinges advertised in the classifieds here and the same guy responded to my ad. I saw that it was the nigerian check scam and just laughed. I never responded. I thought, are people still doing that?

I feel for you. Honest.

Was this what you got?

Hi Mike,
Thanks for your early response with the price. I'm offering you $250. I'll pay you $3000(certified cheque) through my client. Upon receipt of funds, i will like you to deduct your cost and send the excess funds through western union transfer to my shipper for pick up. I would like you to get back to me with your details in this order below for immediate issuance of your funds:

Your full name:
Contact address:
Phone number:

Regards,
Harry
Here is his address:
harry wilmer <[email protected]>

Maybe a little spam is in order.

Later, mikey

·
Administrator
18,635 Posts
Kinda makes that you could send solid, hot, steamy objects through email, doesn't it..................................I hate scummy people.

·
World Class ASE tech
704 Posts
here is an email I got for a gas tank I have for sale on this site.

Greetings ,
I saw your advert and i'm interested in buying your gas tank for a t bucket. I'm offering $150. I'll issue you $2000(certified cheque) through my client. Upon receipt of the funds, i would like you to deduct your cost and send the excess funds via western union transfer to my shipper for pick up. Get back to me with your contact details in the order below for immediate issuance of your funds:

Your full name:
Contact address:
Phone number:

Regards,
Jimmy

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep that's exactly the email i got from "Harry", well I'll suck this up as a lesson. Yes I did think this was weird at first but I've never sold anything on the internet and wasn't too familiar with these scams.. I do still have the carbs, never shipped them..

·
boatbob2
1,385 Posts
scams

hi,there are many scams out there,the one that got me,was the lady? that i bought a diamond ring from on ebay,retail $1792.00,looked great,i paid $274.00 for it,i thought that i scammed her. i took the ring to a buddy that owns a pawn shop and he laughed so hard he was crying. that perfect ring had about 50 cracks in the diamonds,he told me he would give me $1.50 for it. so buyers beware..and ebay will NOT help you. im boatbob2

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.