Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, my name is Willard and I have a 1948 chevy stylemaster with a 1964 283 and I've run into the problem of having 3 freeze plugs start to leak on me. I replaced the one behind the power steering pump, and the one behind the driver side header isn't going to be to much of a problem. But now I have the infamous chore of getting to the one behind the driver side engine mount.
I've got the engine on a hoist, and supported with an ATV jack from underneath so that I could remove just the drivers side mount. The "clamshell" mount (I believe that is the name for it), connected to the frame is removed, and now I'm trying to remove the bracket from the engine. I'm having some problems with getting to the two bolts on top. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? The bolts are 9/16th, and the bracket wraps so close to the head that I'm having troubles getting a socket on it. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was able to get to it, I just had to try harder, use a little WD-40, and an extension in the form of a jack handle. After I take care of the plug, which should I use when reattaching the engine mounts, lock tite or anti seize? I'm thinking lock tite, just hope someone can lay it straight for me.
This mess is not fun at all, especially since it's all my fault. I have learned my lesson, never use tap water for the radiator. I just hope that no other ones go bad.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.