Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the size of the freeze plug at the rear of engine, back of cam? 350 Chevy, pre-1986. It looks to be 2" but there is a slight chamfer around the hole which makes it difficult to measure. I want to get the plug before the weekend so that if the parts place doesn't one they can get it in from a warehouse for the weekend.

Thanks,

Bill

·
Lost in the 60's
15,258 Posts
The parts place should be able to tell you what size it is.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Freeze Plug

Most of your local parts stores will have these plugs in stock. I know Advance Auto had them in single packages and most of the time if you just have them look up like a 1979 car with a 350 then it will tell you the sizes for all the holes.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,731 Posts
It's actauly not a freeze plug at all. It's a little different. Get one from a local machine shop. It's 1 15/16 I think. A standard freeze plug will push the cam forward.

·
Registered
14 Posts
re: Freeze plugs

I know that if you go to Advance Auto that if you have them look up like a '79 car with a 350 such as a Camaro, the lil computer should bring up all the diameters for the engine from front to side to rear plugs in brass or steel.

·
Old Guys Rule!...EVERYTHING!
469 Posts
Actually it's a 2 7/64" steel cup style freeze plug in back of the cam. Be sure to add alittle sealant before you install it! Good luck! ...Mark

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
johnsongrass1 said:
It's actauly not a freeze plug at all. It's a little different. Get one from a local machine shop. It's 1 15/16 I think. A standard freeze plug will push the cam forward.
That's why I put it in quotes. I couldn't come up with a better description. Sometimes I don't state things clearly enough. My wife hates it when I do that.

Anyway I found I believe the correct one online at Advance Auto. There part number 352566 shallow steel freeze plug 2 3/32" dia. $0.68. It even says camshaft. A little smaller than 2 7/64". I'll see what they have.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,089 Posts
11 echo is correct. The plug is indeed 2 7/64 I have a whole box of them in the shop that I just looked at.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,089 Posts
Put some sealer around the O.D. of the plug and don't drive it in too far. Too far will allow it to push the cam forward in the block.

·
King of my Man-cave.
2,896 Posts
engineczar said:
The plugs I have are Pioneer. Pretty good difference in size .0156
Yep. I used the Dorman one for years. Never had a leak. I started using the Pioneer plugs when I got a better deal on the brass plug kits.

tom

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hate to bring this up again but I want to fix this once and for all. It's a pain to get the trans out. Any opinion on leaving the existing plug in, cleaning real well and putting some RTV, or something similar, around the plug? It was suggested by an engine builder.

Thanks,

Bill

·
Old Guys Rule!...EVERYTHING!
469 Posts
What's the old engine builder's adage ..."Never enough time to do it right, But always enough time to do it over!" *G* Actually the only thing that will leak pass it is oil, and depending on how bad the leak is dictates if you need to do anything.
...But be that as it may to answer your question, ...you could try an epoxy around the edge of the plug. something that dries semi-quick and can hand the heat. BUT you'll have to really clean the area up and get the oil off the surface for the epoxy to stick! ...Good Luck!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
11echo said:
What's the old engine builder's adage ..."Never enough time to do it right, But always enough time to do it over!" *G* Actually the only thing that will leak pass it is oil, and depending on how bad the leak is dictates if you need to do anything.
...But be that as it may to answer your question, ...you could try an epoxy around the edge of the plug. something that dries semi-quick and can hand the heat. BUT you'll have to really clean the area up and get the oil off the surface for the epoxy to stick! ...Good Luck!

Well considering I have to take the body off to get at the plug, I got some plugs. I could only find 2 3/32 though. If they seem too loose I'll have to look around more.

The car is the T in my avatar. While not too difficult to remove the body it is still too much of a pain to re-do right away.

thanks,

Bill

1 - 16 of 16 Posts