Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
could some one tell me how to french the head lights on my 56 buick. there pot metal n i know they cant be welded on. i got the lights installed from the back...what can i do bout the headlight bezels?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Scrounge the yards for steel bezels that fit- I used mid 50's Ford on my 'J' and older steel GMC pickup (I think) on my '50 Plymouth. There are also kits made, but quite expensive for my blood.... then just grind them if you need, to fit well and weld them on. I searched many yards before finding the ones to fit the 'J'. There are lots of old steel bezels out there if you search. Good Luck!! :)

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Zombie, nice name. Forget all that scrounging, its good if your low on cash, but save yourself all the trouble and buy one of the kits Hagan sells. Its a whole lot easier, they come with buckets and bezles and theres none of that guess work.

HK

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
HK, I hope that kit is not the one with the cheesy inverted plastic "chrome" bezels. I saw these first in magazine and thought how neat is this! Then went to the local Drive-in gathering and saw the same kit installed on a car....I'll take amateur bodywork and effort anyday against cheeseball commercial poorly designed and poorer appearing kit "krap"...
what ever happened to true Frenching where all you see is the headlamp bulb and the thin retainer ring around it?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Well considering some of the work I've seen people do I rather see a cheapy smooth job than a very bad sunken "blackeye" healight job. I agree with you in a way, but some folks just don't have the fabricating ability to come out on top. I make my own headlight buckets and retaining rings, but some folks just arn't able to do it. Its pretty simple to do, but I've seen some guys with me showing them personally just really bomb out.

Making a headlight bucket is as simple as anything can get. Just roll and weld the bucket, make a backingplate with a hole for the exiting wiring. add an adjusting headlight ring and your done with the bucket. For the trim ring its just as simple, but you have to choose how you want it to look and mount, after that its pretty much just a tack weld, smooth and paint or send to the chromer. If you'd like some more in depth help, feel free to ask me, but its really as simple as stated above.

HK

1 - 5 of 5 Posts