Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Be warned this is going to sound painfull and idiotic to some people but hear me out. :spank:

So without getting into nitty gritty details, i yanked a 400 sbc out of a project-gone-bad old camaro, had the block inspected, and decided to use it as a builder. Long story short, i had everything buttoned up, litterally just needed to be hooked up to a starter and some fuel and she was ready to rock. Only problem was as I was finishing this build up, I got pulled for a 2 year tour overseas. I had the time to mount it to the tranny of the vehicle im putting it in, was all painted up, valve covers on, blocked off any open holes, and left it with my father so he could store my builder rig while i was gone, told him all he needed to have done was hook up a cooling system, and hold it at 3000 RPM for 30 minutes to break in the cam, and put something at the end of the headers if he wanted to save whats left of his hearing.
My problem is that with everything going on this got put on the back burner with him and this engine has been sitting for a little over a year now. Should i be concerned now that the engine may have some rust buildup on the inside? I remember from when i was assembling litterally everything was either covered with assembly lube or oil. This may be me just being a little to safe, as ive heard of engines sitting on shelves for years and years. This one is in an overhang, but in an extremely dry environment year round none the less. Im just debating whether just calling my buddy to go over there and button it up, or just wait if this could have caused problems from sitting for a decent amount of time, im more than happy to tear it down to prevent it from dropping a rod or hanging a valve. Included a picture of her for your enjoyment. ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
Have you tried turning it over by hand?

If you can its likely fine as is, a shot of oil in the spark plug holes is a good idea...you should be able to see the cylinder walls with a powerful flashlight and looking through the plug holes.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Here's what I did:
Try to turn it over by hand with no plugs.
started to move a hair and then it stopped. Squirt ATF in through the sparkplug holes and let it sit for a couple days
Turned it over by hand.
Drained the oil.
Since I didn't know what cam lube was used, I pulled the cam, cleaned it off and re-lubed cam/lifters, rockers. Left rocker covers off. Its a good thing I did, the assembler used that red syrup crap and the cam was basically bone dry
New oil.
Pulled distributor and prime engine until oil is up to the top end.
Used a carb I knew was good (if you don't have a 2nd carb, you SHOULD be okay, 2yrs isnt forever.)
Fired right up.
I didn't think to check the back of the cam and see what its specs were; but it was fairly mild, sounded like less than a 268H in a basic 350. Ran like a top.

**Thanks for your service!***

·
Registered
13,952 Posts
If it's all closed up tight, I'd just leave it alone. These things as crate engines can sit in warehouses for years without problems and fire right up when you buy and install them.

Back in my day when going on outa country tours these projects just got sealed up and hauled cross country to my California home to be stored till I got back, it worked just fine.

Bogie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes he said he can turn the motor over by hand, he said the motor is a little stiff but i remeber when i buttoned everything up the motor was preety tight. Awesome thanks guys, I was thinking that it shouldnt cause any harm or complications from sitting for a decent amount of time, but I had never heard of someone finishing a fresh rebuild and letting it sit :spank:. I think im just going to have my buddy from the machine shop bump the motor a handfull of times and pull the plugs and put a little oil in before he does the break in process. Thanks for all your help, cant wait to get back stateside and here this baby pur. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts