Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
front clip

We may have a language barrier here as out this way the front clip is the front fenders, hood, and valance, and grill. However, I presume you are referring to the front stub, which is the part of the frame with the suspension on it?
I am not sure of the differences in wheel width, but I do know there are some around here that have grafted in the front stub from Novas and Camaros into their 55, 56, and 57 Chevies. These are a bolt in stub to these vehicles and have been quite popular with stock car racers as well.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
There is no reason to "clip" a tri-five Chevy unless you're going all out racing or the frame has been destroyed somehow. There are tons of parts available for rebuilding or modifying the stock suspension and everything needed is available to mount just about any V8 Chevy ever built for power.

When it comes to choosing parts it might help if we had an idea what you want to do with the car, a driver, street strip, cruiser, etc....

Centerline

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
clipping a tri 5

Well I tend to agree with you on that Centerline. Would be helpful to have more info.
But as I mentioned, out this way, a front clip is the sheet metal ahead of the firewall.
Stubbing is putting in a different front end.

Not sure which is being referred to here.
As for sheet metal, there are a few companies around doing repros, as well as fiberglass jobs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes guys i do mean the frame stub not the sheet metal, what i want to do is build a street rod that i can show, parade or just everyday driving if i choose. I've messed with cars a lot but never from the ground up and that old. I plan to restore it, but as a street rod with a big block. My only concern is the front suspension with the big block, and i would like to have power steering.

Thank you for your time
Duane Mantle

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
like I said no reason to "clip" that car. There are thousands of Tri-five Chevys running around with big blocks on stock rebuilt suspensions with no problems and a lot of them are "show cars". Also disk brake and power steering kits are available for this setup.

I did a two minute search on the net and found dozens of places selling this stuff.

Centerline

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
clipping a 55

I agree with Centerline. As long as your frame is good and straight and not rusted out, theres no reason to restub it. As he said, theres a lot of places to get the OE type stuff for your car, and the only thing you need to do to put a big block in it is to go to stiffer springs in the front end, as far as the suspension goes.
If I remember correctly, tri 5's all had power steering as an options, so it shouldnt be hard to convert it over.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.