Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 51 ford custom deluxe 4dr it has a flathead in it now and i have just gotten a 350 chevy for the car. the chevy still needs to be rebuilt but i was wondering what the best way to get the chevy into the car. do i get a old nova front end or do i put in new motor mounts ? i am adventualy going to put in a air ride kit. i would also like to have power steering and disk breaks i am up for any and all advise. thanks for everyones help

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
The easiest way is to purchase a bolt in crossmember that already has the Chevy mounts in place. They're available from most of the mail order street rod vendors and are relatively inexpensive. You'll also need a trans crossmember and you can get them from the same places.

Zigs Street Rod Parts will help you out. Just select engine mounts on the left menu and look for the "tube engine mounts" on the right side. You have a choice of bolt in or weld in. These are by far the easiest way to install a SBC in anything. They have the trans crossmembers as well.

When it comes to disk brakes and power steering you have a couple different ways you can go. A Nova clip is one way but requires welding skill and they can be tricky to do correctly. There will also be a significant amount of fabrication to do in order to mount the front sheet metal back on. Another somewhat easier option would be a Mustang II IFS system. This will not require you to cut off the front of your frame and will provide you with a choice of big or small disk brakes, power steering and it can easily be converted to air-ride when you're ready. There are bolt on systems and weld on systems. The best quality IMHO is Heidts but they only make weld on systems. Fat Man Fabrications makes a bolt on Mustang II IFS if that's the way you want to go.

Centerline

1 - 2 of 2 Posts