Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 51 chevy.I am considering a mustang 2 or a s-10 front clip.I was wondering what your opinions on theese 2 front clips were.I am new to this site. Thanks

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
For a first timer I would suggest a good quality Mustang II kit. They are easy to install and made for the existing frame. A Nova or Camaro clip is a good option but requires much more experience to do correctly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was acually just curious which clip was the best to use.i have experience in building jeeps and other off road vehicles, cages,frames.i can mig tig or whatever.i am new to building hot rods but i have an idea of what to do.i just want a cheap clip thats redily available i can whack off a car,but dont want to use one thats not as good of quality as something else out there.as in barrings,spindles, use of airbags,suspensions for the different front clip applications.like mustang 2, camaro, pacer.
thanks

·
Member - AMC/Rambler "guru"
1,761 Posts
The Pacer front crossmember and suspension drops out as a complete assembly. It's a decent setup with rack and pinion. It's also getting hard to come by, and parts are harder to find. The rack and pinion is GM unit, but one of their first -- it's not exactly easy to find. factory front discs are okay to find now, but no bolt on aftermarket pieces. The spindles and hubs are standard AMC pieces though, and bolt off. It's easy to fabricate a new caliper bracket and run a Wilwood or Baer hat type rotor on drum brake hubs with the drum removed. You just have to get the offset right. MII hubs supposedly fit the AMC spindles, but I haven't tried that. The offset for on the MII is at least 1/2" different (further out on the hub) than the AMC hub. That might not be a problem though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for your info.i am going to try the s-10 frame. it seems easier, cheaper, and easier to get parts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts