Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Of course it's fast
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its hard to see in the pictures. The first one is probably the best. Yes the bumper is bent a little which makes it more obvious, but the front drivers side of the car sits higher than the rest. What can cause this and how is it fixed?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Does it have torsion bars up front? they can adjust height individually side to side.

A spring shop can even it out. If it has coils sometimes one coil looses load or the perch has failed.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
My thoughts would be frozen shock or component, rusted/bent perch, broken/weakened coil.

Body twist? Really , so bad that the 4 corners are diffrent heights.. I could see some stress lines/bends at the pillars or cradle, but that is extreme.

·
Of course it's fast
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll check it out when I start stripping it down. I'm thinking it is suspension related. I heard a clunk when I came to a stop earlier but didn't think anything of it. Maybe there's something broken or frozen. It does feel weird when driving

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Differences in frontend height are not always in the frontend. Sometimes a problem in the opposite rear corner can cause the front corner on the other side to rise. I'd look at the rear spring on the same side as the low front.
If you've still got stock springs all around you might consider replacing all the springs front and rear, and installing new bushings all around while you're at it. Binding in the front A arm bushings can restrict spring rise or control arm movement, and affect height also.
Your '78 is getting old enough that it's most likely spring sag at one corner causing the issue, it's just a matter of whether it's front or rear. Just went through this on my '71 Camaro, and replaced all 4 springs to get it back to factory ride. I got front coils for $85 a pair, and rear leafs in 2" lowering for $150 a pair. Then put new bushings everywhere, including the subframe mounts.

·
Of course it's fast
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks i'll just do all 4 since the rear is sagging a little too. Gotta stop trying to be cheap:rolleyes:
Where'd you get them from? I've been looking for the subframe to body mounts and having trouble finding them.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
6,076 Posts
Don't rule out body mounts. I had the frame rusted away under a rad support mount and the mount went right thru the hole making the truck canted to one side. I could see something like that making a clunking sound.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Thanks i'll just do all 4 since the rear is sagging a little too. Gotta stop trying to be cheap:rolleyes:
Where'd you get them from? I've been looking for the subframe to body mounts and having trouble finding them.
I got a complete bushing kit from Summit that had the body bushings in it. My rear leaf springs also came from them on a sale. Bought front coils locally from Oregon Spring. I used SBC with AC coils up front, and with my BBC 427 it gave me the correct height to match the rear springs.

·
Of course it's fast
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't rule out body mounts. I had the frame rusted away under a rad support mount and the mount went right thru the hole making the truck canted to one side. I could see something like that making a clunking sound.
Alright thanks i'll look into it. The car isnt very rusty ither than the usual lower quater rust since its never left florida but i have to pull everything from the rad forward so i'll check it out.

Bb427: thanks i'll see what summit has. What material did you go with? I've heard good things about the polyurethane bushings.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Bb427: thanks i'll see what summit has. What material did you go with? I've heard good things about the polyurethane bushings.
I went with polyurethane. Only thing I heard abput poly is they squeak. I got an extra 8 oz. cn of bushing lube and really used plenty on every bushing while installing them. I've had no squeaks at all. I went with the black Energy Suspension bushing kits. Didn't care for the red or blue colors.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.