Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i need some advice on what shocks to use on my 34 chevy pickup. i put a 6" drop axle in it. i used my stock leaf springs but had them dearched 3 " to lower the suspension.
having the springs dearched will make them sit almost straight or flat. this will lower the front of the truck about 6". i was wondering what to use for shocks. i thought about using coil over shocks, thinking that this will compensate for having the springs dearched. i wonder if that will stiffen the suspension too much.
any ideas onwhat to use will be great. thanks stick

·
Registered
71 Posts
shocking

the majority of the shock from the bump is handled by the leaf spring, the object of the shock absorber is to dampen the shock and stop it from bouncing up and down; so if you wait until you get it together and then you and a friend jump up and down on the frame rail at the front you should be able to figure out how 'bouncy' the springs are now that you have modified them and that will assist with your decision. I did the same in a later model truck with parrallel leaf springs in the front and just used Monroe gas shocks for a 2 ton GM car. My suspension is a bit too hard now. I don't think you will need coil over shocks but in saying that; coil over shocks come in different rates of stiffness too and they look good.you could even possibly drive it without the shocks in to find out how much damping you need.

·
Too many hobbies!
239 Posts
If your local parts house will give you one, get a Monroe shock catalog. In the back, is mounting style, and length measurements.

Find a shock that has the right mounts, then match up to one that has the correct lengths. Some have internal bumpers, some don't. Just have to study up, and you're all set.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts