Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
18,646 Posts
I have never needed a press to remove mine...Undo the axle nut, remove the bolts and knock it out.......What car are we speaking about?

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
If you are talking changing the bearing. Most modern FWD systems use a press apart system. First the hub is pressed from the center of the bearing. Then a snap ring is removed from the housing and the bearing is pressed out.

To install is the reverse.. Sounds simple.. In reality.. Cars in the rust belt are usually rusted up solid. The hub seldom presses from the bearing without destroying the races and internals. Removing the rusted solid snap ring from the housing can be a very frustrating procedure..

Then there's the customer.. Who has tried to get that extra mile on a bad bearing assenbly.. Everything is rusted/galled/welded up or impossible to get apart.. Then he has to buy a complete new assembly..

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had very good luck using the "Hub-Shark", it's a 10" fine-threaded shaft with an assortment of flat plates and cups. On a Honda, remove the wheel/caliper/rotor..use a heavy slde hammer to remove the hub, cut the outer bearing race from the hub on the bench..then back at the spindle,seperate the lower balljoint from the lower control arm,push out the driveshaft,remove the cir-clip retaining the bearing. Now use the Hub-shark to remove the bearing. Reverse procedure for install.
Truth be told, after removing the ABS sensor, tie-rod and upper Balljoint...you could have the spindle in your hands ready for the press...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.