Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am work on a 1977 Chevy 305 with a 4bbl(750) Rochester and a MSD 6A. It has recently been in a carb.. fire(wasn't that fun). I replaced the carb with a spare i already had rebuilt, replaced the vacuum lines, and some other stuff that was damage. Damage was at a minimum so i was hopeing to put the new carb on and be on my way.
Now the engine will not start on its own when it is cold. When i spray just a lil starter fluid it starts right but when i pump it it wont. i thought it was just the fouled plugs so i replaced them with Bosch plat. plus. Still no good. Now i don't know were to go.
-it runs fine once it starts
-it has a good spark as far as i can tell(maybe charge the wires)
-it is getting gas
-no vacuum leaks
-choke it good works fine
any help would be nice,sorry for the spelling

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
5,659 Posts
Are you sure the other carb you put on has the same jetting? Settings? calibration?

Unless it came off another 305 with the same application it could be running way lean or way rich... enough to not let it start.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was rebuilt to the factory specs. I adjusted the air/fuel mixture in ballpark range i could re-adjust see what happens.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Have you checked the float level. I use an in line electric fuel pump , when starting the engine once started shut it off and run on the mechanical pump.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oops :embarrass when it caught fire i turned the gas line off. when i started the repairs i selected the second tank that i haven't hooked up yet so when i started tweaking it it ran out of what little 12 year old gas was in the second tank and i was able to realize it was on the wrong tank. Now with the fresh gas she starts right up :) .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts