Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get my 56 chevy pickup road worthy just got the c4 IFS and probably going with a 12 bolt rear and I have a built up 700r4 all I need to address is the Cab (cab corners, steps/rocker panels, the usual places) , and an engine. I have all the other parts to get it on the road. Im lookin to get a fuel injection engine maybe out of a silverado or LT1. LS motors are out of my price range for now. what efi motors would you guys recomend using and maybe have experience with?

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,307 Posts
I like the LT1, but its not for everyone. They are basically a traditional 1-piece SBC with a few key differences, but try buying one that doesn't cost 3 times what it should.

A Vortec engine out of a truck would be a great choice. They're plentiful, cheap, have great heads, and they aren't very complicated. They do have limitations on how far you can go with power since the stock intake has oddball injectors that can't be upgraded, but if you want to up the power, get a marine vortec intake. It uses traditional injectors that can be upgraded. Normally I wouldn't suggest an OBD2 engine like this, but since you are smog exempt the OBD2 can actually be nice since it will have advanced diagnostics that really help figure out problems.

TPI engines are very simple, but a bit limited on RPM potential without expensive intake upgrades.

Most of GM's stuff was PROM calibration up through 93, and Flash calibration 94 and later. What that means is you can use a computer or programmer to fine-tune the later engines, but you have to burn a chip for an older engine. Might make it easier to fine tune things down the line if you get a Flash-managed engine. Its like the difference between a CD-ROM and a compact flash card for your computer. Once you burn a CD, its done. If you don't get it right, you have to throw away the CD and try a new one. A flash card is rewritable, so if you don't get it right you just try again and overwrite the flash memory. This allows tuning on the fly and avoids the time-consuming step of having a chip burned for an outdated system.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The LT1 and vortec are what i was looking at
a friend of mine said to get a 97 or later vortec
i just dont kno if i have the kno how to do an efi setup
but i imagine buying an aftermarket harness and computer would make it easier. Isnt the 98+ vortecs basically an LS1 but cast iron block?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im going to chico state next year soo Im on a budget right now lol
but all yur guys inputs are great !

I like unique and a diesel would deff throw some ppl off !

·
Jr 1948
90 Posts
fuel injection Isn't to hard just use the hole wiring harness basicly turnsignals and everything only thing you gotta figure out is the gauges and steering coloum but the plug may be the same as what your using in your truck for a steering coloum basicly don't unplug anything what ever its pluged into unbolt don't un hook anything from the motor just the firewall and interior and such :thumbup:

-Dirtdog

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,307 Posts
TK56 said:
Isnt the 98+ vortecs basically an LS1 but cast iron block?
96-98 were what we refer to as the Vortec engines, even though they used the name prior to that and after that. You are correct; starting in late 98 they began using LS-based iron block engines. The Vortec is still produced today for some medium duty trucks, delivery vans, and other light commercial applications, but its not likely you'll find one like that.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
TK56 said:
Im going to chico state next year soo Im on a budget right now lol
but all yur guys inputs are great !

I like unique and a diesel would deff throw some ppl off !
A 6.2 is really pretty cheap. They can be had for only a few hundred. TBI 350/454 arent too expensive either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.