Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up a box full of high quality compression fittings at a tag sale. They're all Parker and Weathertite. I realize these should never be used on a brake line but what's the thinking on fuel lines (5-9 psi)? I have some with brass ferrules and some with nylon.

·
More for Less Racer
19,368 Posts
Brass ferrules are just fine on steel or NiCopp hard line...they'll even work on aluminum fuel line if you are careful when tightening....go to far and crush it too much and you'll have to cut the end of the line and ferrule off and start again with aluminum.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don't use them for anything automotive.
When I used to be a government inspection tech, these were a complete no no on fuel and brake, government safety guidelines in my province.

Yes people have use them with no problems - Insert " I never had a problem with them" but I cant count how many times in my career I have seen leaky/seaping compression fittings, brake, fuel, or oil.

To each his own.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

·
Gotta love a turbo!
2,641 Posts
I don't use them for anything automotive.
When I used to be a government inspection tech, these were a complete no no on fuel and brake, government safety guidelines in my province.

Yes people have use them with no problems - Insert " I never had a problem with them" but I cant count how many times in my career I have seen leaky/seaping compression fittings, brake, fuel, or oil.

To each his own.

Wow, that's odd! We used Parker-Hannfin stainless steel compression fittings throughout the refinery industry here in the states for chemical, lube oil, etc injection lines as they are rated for up to 10,000 PSI depending on size. Smaller the size, higher the PSI rating. The only failure I can recall was in trichlorethane use, and that was not the fitting but internal line corrosion on the SS tubing itself. I'd have no problem at all using them for brake lines (2,000#), EFI (60#), or low pressure fuel.

Russ

·
Registered
80 Posts
We used Parker-Hannfin stainless steel compression fittings throughout the refinery industry here in the states for chemical, lube oil, etc injection lines as they are rated for up to 10,000 PSI depending on size.

Russ
Apples and Oranges

In the automotive repair industry, chinese fittings used on chinese bulk lines, often mated to less then perfect rusty original lines. You would fall over on the standard of consistency in a bulk line, oval to begin with, diameters drastically (in comparison to quality line) change throughout the span, and hardness that is sketch. Double flare, tighten to spec, boom no issues.

I have used quality stuff and it's a pleasure

·
Old(s) Fart
5,634 Posts
Stainless steel compression fittings aren't Chinesium brass fittings installed by untrained people. Of course, we're talking about 5 pai fuel lines. If a rubber hose and screw clamp work, compression fittings will be fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts