Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Is it necessary to install fuel pressure regulator nearby the engine or can I install it at the rear of the car right next to the fuel pump? I would like to keep the engine room as clear as possible. It's a holley regulator, carb engine.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Hi,
I don't know the answer to your question, but I can't see what difference
it would make, if the pressure gage is by the carb & reads 7#s that's all
your trying to accomplish.

Good luck,
rich

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
5,659 Posts
It needs to be as close to the engine as possible. Its the same reason why painters use a regulator ON the gun and the same reason OEMs put the regulator directly on the fuel rail. The pressure variations can be very unpredictable over that length.

You could install a fuel pressure gauge on the engine and put the regulator several feet away, but don't expect it to stay the same. Expect frequent and wide variations in pressure.

I guess doing it "right" dictates no further away than the firewall or inner fender. If you want to try it, I suggest going just out of sight at the base of the firewall.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yep, I agree with Curtis.
I've only ever used electric pumps on drag cars and then the regulator was at the carb and it was used in a return line to the tank. The regulator is like a bypass. The fuel didn't go through the regulator to get to the carb. The pressure is real stable. Also the pump didn't 'deadhead' against the pressure.
Have fun,Smokey

1 - 4 of 4 Posts