Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice on a manual fuel pump with a PSI low enough for the quadrajet. Previously had a AC DELCO 40727, 7.5-9psi was far too high for the QJet. Input?

*Relevant info
Truck: 1969 K10 (Manual)
Engine: 1977 (Mark IV) 454
Carburetor: 1973 R4-4MV Rochester Quadrajet

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I like to use the low profile design with both of the fittings kicking out flush with the bottom of the pump. I buy a fuel pump for a 71c10 on all my sbc/bbc 1st gen engines. Your fuel lines need to make less of a bend with these. Some of the aftermarket ones have a longer "neck" which may cause clearance issues with the frame. I have 2 Performance pumps in the shed where this is the case.

Make sure to put the pump on there and if the rod is pressing against the pump leaving a gap between the pump and block don't push the pump on there and tighten down the threads. Rotate the engine by hand so the rod is as far in as possible. It makes installing the pump much easier and is better for the threads allowing for proper torque ratings also.

Install new rubber lines and clamps any time you change a pump. This allows you to cut off the old ones with a razor blade and avoid risking damaging the metal lines. A bit of pb blaster will avoid twisting the metal lines at the fitting. I do buy a number of barb fittings for when this line twist and just run a 4" of high compression fuel line over the fitting and press the metal line cut with a break cutter against the fitting then use 4 clamps and have never had a issue. Keep your flexible rubber section under 5" and spend the extra $4/foot of fuel line rated for 60psi. This has a better wall and will not collapse like the $3 a foot generic stuff will. You should not need more then 12" to replace the pump. 5"with 2" over the ends using 4 clamps and 3" over the barb to the fuel line going to the carb with 4 clamps.

If your Edelbrock has the filter at the carb this is a great time to change that also.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
I am using a AC Delco 4657 mechanical fuel pump on my 1962 Chevrolet Bel Air 327/300. I replaced the 1962 Carter AFB (625 CFM) with a Rochester Q-jet (700 CFM) used a 1967 intake manifold.
Used 3/8” rubber inlet Line, 5/16” steel outlet line pump to filter, with 1/4”-18 npt flared fittings.

Maximum Pump flow ..........50 GPH
Maximum Pump pressure ... 6.5 psi

No problems at 5,500 RPM

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Remove the bronze filter in the carburetor inlet and install a inline fuel filter. I used the AC Delco GF90 inline filter and a bracket from one of the various restoration parts suppliers.
The correct pump to filter steel fuel line can also be purchased from those companies. They will be pre-bent and easier to install.
KN offers a duplicate of the AC Delco GF90 filter at 1/2 the price. If you don’t care about the AC Delco logo, K&N PF1000 is the one to use. It has a high flow rate and the GF 90 was first used on fuel injection Corvettes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts