Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a few months off my Project due to FL Heat but at the point where i want to tackle my Fuel System.

Stock inline pump Flows 47 gph

Need around 60 - Sniper internally regulated at 58

Any ideas on In-tank Pumps that would flow this and Bolt in? It seems people have used GM pumps for these setups before but i am not sure which one and if any would Adapt to the C4.

Not opposed to running external pump but would prefer in-tank to keep my Sending Unit/Wiring in place.

Also as a sidenote, i went with analog gauges and custom dash and was having trouble locating the sending unit wire in my dash wiring - i believe it could be the purple wire in the Cluster but was getting no OHM readings. This is not a big deal, when i replace the pump i will just Tone the wire out but curious if anyone already knows.

Any advice on Fuel Pumps??
In no rush, Thanks

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
You can run inline and keep your sending unit. Just do what I have done with over a dozen rides. Pull the sending unit. Rip off the sock. Add a sump or fitting to the bottom of the tank.
Now you use your old feed line as your return line as that will push the fuel to the bottom of the tank(no noise) now plug your old return line as it is no longer needed. If carburated you will only have the feed line in most cases and that will just become your return.

The thing I like about running a gravity fed pump is that you run a foot or so off the tank to a pre filter then to the pump. This foot of line is always full of fuel because all the fuel above it is pushing down to the lower pressure area(as it is sucked) this means that sloshing is less of a issue then if you had a in tank pump.

Downside is this requires the pump to be lower which is not always possible.

Then by using a fuel pressure regulatior with a return going to the tank. You have a pressurized rail with a good amount of fuel in it so if you do manage to have a pressure drop you "may" have enough fuel in the rail to recover that pressure before a injectior is affected.

It surprises me. You will see guys running biger pumps, lines, injectiors. But the rail is still factory. Make that pressurized rail bigger diamiter if you make those injectiors bigger. It gives you more buffer to avoid them running dry.

Note: If your racing check your rules. A in tank pump is safer as it can not dump as much fuel in a crash.
Most classes frown upon gravity fed pumps. Some states might not like them if the ride is annually inspected also.

I never had a issue. But others might get scared if you dont stay inside the lines.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I've never had much luck with in-line pumps and your Corvette sits so low that an in line pump is all but out of the question. Good news is your tank has a pump in it already so you will just need to upgrade the pump itself. A (real) Walbro pump should fit in the space provided and give you the flow/pressure you need. It's not that hard to build an in-tank pump module with one problem being the fuel sending unit. Upgrading the pump in the module you have now I think is the way to go.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you both for the advice. It seems somewhere i read that GM had some in-tank pumps in the 60gph range that folks were using for the sniper.. But now im not finding the info, and i know Holley has a system but they offer a whole separate tank etc. Im also wondering with the Throttle Body Sniper system if the stock pump at 47 gph may be adequate.. Although the Sniper is regulated at 58. Of course Holley says no. Swapping the in-tank pump itself does not sound too bad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.