Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fuel pump located in gas tank died. Can I install an external fuel pump? EFI/TPI system on 2.8L motor. Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Yes, you can. However you will have to wire it through the Fuel pump relay. Realize that external pumps (especially ones that work as hard to put out the high pressure the EFI's use) usually have a shorter life as they dont have the gas surrounding them to cool them off.

An inline pump from a mid 80' s ford pickup will have enough flow and PSI to support your system. Make sure of your EFI system though. GM had the TBI type which flowed 12-20 PSI (I think) and the TPI mulitport type which flowed 38-54PSI. The ford pump I have suggested will flow up to 80PSI (the regulator will bring this down).

·
"May the Schwartz be with you"
1,053 Posts
Is your reasoning of going to an external pump to get around pulling the one in the tank?

If so, forget it. You still have to get the one out of the tank as it is too big of a restriction. The carbureted pickup you will need to do this is no longer in production. I had to made my own.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
"The carbureted pickup you will need to do this is no longer in production."

What do you mean?

Like Lonestar said, you still have the pull the old pump because if its not being activated, you'd be lucky to get any fuel through it. You'll also want to get in there to pull the wiring from the old pump.

It can be done . . . but seriously is it worth it?

·
Registered
290 Posts
F-body fuel pump

Everyone was right you could and you would need a different pick-up for your tank. I realize GM F body was designed to make you dissamble the rear of the car to change the pump but consider another thing. Almost anytime you start trying to "By Pass" the factory fuel system on fuel injected vehicles it usually leads to head aches and service engine soon lights.
Consider on your camaro when you turn the key on the ECM gives a prime command. Also your oil sending unit is designed to when you loose oil pressure voltage is stopped to the fuel pump to prevent engine damage. I think I would put it back the way it came and avoid using cheaper aftermarket pumps. Use a GM pump. You can still get them form places like Advance Auto but you have to request a Delco part. Make sure to change the Fuel Filter also. About 70% of Fuel pump failures is from not changing your fuel filter every 35,000 miles. They get restricted and the pump pushes extra hard to maintain volume.-----:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
On that year and style car the fuel wiring is actually fairly simplistic. The prime command and oil pressure setup are routed through the fuel pump relax to the ECM. There are usually only 2 or 3 wires to the pump itself one of which runs the pulsator. The other two being ground and power.

IF you were to do this you shouldn't experience trouble in the way of the ECM, but again I think you are giving yourself more work than is nessesary.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of your insightful help, I am going to pull the fuel tank and go either GM or use a quality brandname fuel pump. Your replies answered alot of questions. Thanks again.
86chevymomma

·
1,053 Posts
Siggy_Freud said:
"The carbureted pickup you will need to do this is no longer in production."

What do you mean?

The fuel pickup for a carureted engine with block mounted fuel pump (hence it does not have the electric pump on the pickup), is a discontinued item. Either have to get one from a scrapyard or make your own.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
I understand that but im still confused why you are mentioning a carbuerated setup. The 80's ford trucks im refering to also can with FI setups. The pump supplying the Rangers 4cyl. FI was the same as the ones providing fuel for the later FI 5.0's

He'd have to fab a soft or hardline to take the place of his intank pump but thats about all. All a moot point tho since he's done the smart thing and decided to pull the tank.

I'd stick with ACDelco. If you go aftermarket try Walbro.

·
1,053 Posts
Siggy_Freud said:
I understand that but im still confused why you are mentioning a carbuerated setup. The 80's ford trucks im refering to also can with FI setups. The pump supplying the Rangers 4cyl. FI was the same as the ones providing fuel for the later FI 5.0's

He'd have to fab a soft or hardline to take the place of his intank pump but thats about all. All a moot point tho since he's done the smart thing and decided to pull the tank.

I'd stick with ACDelco. If you go aftermarket try Walbro.
I mentioned the carbureted setup as that would be the direct fuel pickup replacement if he could get one out of a scrap yard.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I made an access panel on my stepson's 89 camaro instead of pulling the tank and rearend. Went to the local speed shop and bought a access panel and molded it into the car. Any future problems with the fuel pump can now be easily remedied.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts