Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 454 chevy big block that had the manual fuel pump go out. Tried to replace it but found ouot push rod badly damaged. So I got a electric pump. Worked fine for 3 days then vapor locked when engine got hot. Replaced and relocated to frame under passenger door. Same thing happened, worked for 4 days then vapor locked when engine got hot. I did this all over again with larger pump this time still the same results. I had A mech. check all connections and routing every thing was fine. Please some -one HelP?????????:boxing:

·
Registered
699 Posts
Couple ideas for you

Just a couple of ideas for you. I have an electric pump on my car and have never had a problem. The electric pump pushes better than it pulls, and for that reason, the pump is supposed to be mounted close to the tank. Where is yours mounted in relation to the tank? If you have the fuel line and the pump away from any heat source I wonder if you don't have another problem. The next time it acts up when the engine gets hot, disconnect the fuel line right where it goes into the carb, and put the end in a plastic bottle to contain the gas. Watch the fuel coming into the bottle as someone else turns the pump on. If you you have a strong stream of pure liquid gas with no bubbles, I would suspect a problem somewhere else. The fact that it has worked a couple of times for a while and then acted up suggests that you may have some trash in the line or a semi plugged filter. Let us know what you find out. Hope this helps

1 - 3 of 3 Posts