Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1985 302 lincon motor fuel injection and want to change it to carberater 600cfm holly ok what kind of fuel pump do i need or if i can go electric what pounds and volume do i need to run this motor p/s and what yr of mechanical pump nothing listed around these parts ty rick

·
Administrator
18,631 Posts
Your electric fuel pump in the tank will put out 30+ pounds of pressure. You need a fuel regulator to bring it down to 5-7 lbs.

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
You need a regulator that will limit the pressure and use the present return line for circulation. You will not need a mechanical pump with this setup. MOROSO used to have such a regulator.

·
Registered
138 Posts
EFI to carb conversion tips
Follow the above link for some information on a swap very similar to what you want to do. I know of several guys that did it this way. A couple tried to regulate the pressure down from the stock electric pump and had varied success. Also pay attention to the information on the TV cable hookup to the trans.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Fuel pump?

You have made me curious,I recently aquired an unfinished project car.A 54 Ford Customline with a 85 Lincoln 5.0& AOD since there is no fuel pump boss in the timing cover Iam going to run a electric mounted by the tank Carter or Holley Red pump.Keep us informed!

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
JeffB said:
You have made me curious,I recently aquired an unfinished project car.A 54 Ford Customline with a 85 Lincoln 5.0& AOD since there is no fuel pump boss in the timing cover Iam going to run a electric mounted by the tank Carter or Holley Red pump.Keep us informed!
You can easily convert the engine to a mechanical pump with the earlier, pre injection front cover. Unfortunately, all the accessories and brackets will need some work as well. I just don't like to hear electric fuel pumps rattling away on a carburated engine.

Dave

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
The Three Golden Rules of Fuel Supply

Mechanical fuel pumps are archaic. They rob HP (friction) and are not the most reliable piece on an engine. They can (and will) leak fuel into the engine.

The timing cover for an 87/93 5.0L should have a provision for a mechanical pump. You have to open it. The 94/95 5.0L SN-95 did not have the provision as the FEAD was compressed. Not all came through with pump drive eccentrics either.

• Do not mount an EFI electric fuel pump so it has to draw fuel from the tank. This creates a negative pressure in the fuel line allowing the fuel to boil at a lower temperature (as does a mechanical pump).

• The pump must be mounted in the tank or in a location so that it is gravity fed.

• Fuel should be pushed through the fuel filter. Pulling fuel through a filter can cause cavitation.

Attachments

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
That's mostly assumption (IMO). I know the drag of a mechanical pump (and this drag is put on the cam and chain) is greater than a power draw which is easily replaced by a 130A street alternator. It also introduces pulsations and subjects the system to vapor lock.

As for voltage drop to the pump, one just uses a heavier gauge wire off a relay to provide full battery voltage.

On this application, the pump is already there and mounted at the most opportune position, emerged in the fuel.

But that's just me... :thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.