Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
fuel-pump pushrod ?- am I screwed?

Hi guys. this weekend was the big day. 454 from I6 in a '79 nova. Question is what would happen if some ********* engine builder stuck a sbc pushrod into a bbc? I noticed the fuel pump wasnt operating and thought the pushrod might have been left out. Flew to summit and picked one up but it wont go more than an inch or two into the shaft. cant see into the hole because of its position in the engine bay but its definatly contacting something. Seems to me he may have stuck a sbc rod into the block and it seems to be stuck. How screwed am I? Is it electric pump time?

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,089 Posts
Is there a bolt in the lower bolt hole that comes in from the front of the block? I know on small blocks that too long of a bolt will block the pushrod hole. On big blocks I don't know if that same hole goes through into the pushrod hole and I'm not in my shop to check.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not in front of the engine right now but I will definatly check it out later. I really hope thats it. I'll post tommorow when Im back at the PC. Free net at work! Thanks for the help. Keep the suggs. comin!

·
Registered
534 Posts
engineczar said:
Is there a bolt in the lower bolt hole that comes in from the front of the block? I know on small blocks that too long of a bolt will block the pushrod hole. On big blocks I don't know if that same hole goes through into the pushrod hole and I'm not in my shop to check.

Bolts don't go through on the big block,least not the two I got sitting here in my shop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
fuel pump pushrod replacement

I'm working on a firend's 73 silverado (454) and it has a Stuck fuel pump pushrod.... I took the front cover off, hoping to find the fuel pump eccentric there - low and behold; NOT...
I am assuming I'll have to pull the intake off to get to it... Is there an easier way, or am I headed in the right direction?
by- popularity, I'm a ford person anyway...
thanks

·
Registered
973 Posts
I took the front cover off, hoping to find the fuel pump eccentric there - low and behold; NOT...
I believe it's Driven off a Cam Lube........

·
Registered
534 Posts
t206w6 said:
I'm working on a firend's 73 silverado (454) and it has a Stuck fuel pump pushrod.... I took the front cover off, hoping to find the fuel pump eccentric there - low and behold; NOT...
I am assuming I'll have to pull the intake off to get to it... Is there an easier way, or am I headed in the right direction?
by- popularity, I'm a ford person anyway...
thanks
That rod goes up into the cam tunnel, and about the only way to get to it is to pull the intake and get at it in front of the # 2 cylinder front lifter .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the info... One other thing - is there anyway to remove this rod without having to tear the engine down; removing heads, cam, etc. ?
I have a feeling the rod has a bend in it, someone else tried to replace the fuel pump and did not push the rod up prior to installing the pump... cranked the engine and left it as is...
thanks again for the immediate responses.

·
Registered
534 Posts
t206w6 said:
Thanks for the info... One other thing - is there anyway to remove this rod without having to tear the engine down; removing heads, cam, etc. ?
I have a feeling the rod has a bend in it, someone else tried to replace the fuel pump and did not push the rod up prior to installing the pump... cranked the engine and left it as is...
thanks again for the immediate responses.
If it is bent it would be more likely to be bent on the fuel pump side of block, and the only way to drive it out would be to get at it from under the intake, possibily have to remove one lifter on #2 cylinder and either pry or punch it back down, if its bent on the cam side, complete teardown would be in order.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great advice,,,, I'll give it a try... hopefully it's just a small bend at the pump side... thanks again from a Ford guy...

·
Will I ever get it done?
1,025 Posts
While anything is possible, I have doubts about an improperly installed fuel pump bending the rod. Usually, the pump arm gives first. IIRC, the big block had a pipe plug below the pump. Remove that plug. Use a magnet to pull the rod out. You might want to turn the engine over by hand while you are using the magnet. Don't use the starter to do this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts