Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting together a '49 F-1 with an EFI 5.0 Ford. I have a No Limit under the box fuel tank. Engine wiring is Detail Zone, now comes the confusion. I have heard both sides on the electric fuel pump, in the tank GM, which will mean cutting the top of the tank and threading screw holes to mount the pump and I have talked to builders who say I can use a Ford truck frame mount electric fuel pump. Anyone with this kind of experience that can give some help?
thanks..
rons

·
Member - AMC/Rambler "guru"
1,783 Posts
Either pump will work fine. I've been running a frame mount pump in my 63 Rambler (4.6L EFI inline six -- stroked AMC/Jeep 4.0L from a Cherokee) for several years now. You want to mount the pump as close to the level of the tank as possible to minimize the amount of suction required. I use a 5.0L Ford pump, BTW. I had one burn out on me after about a year and a half, but second one has been going for about three years now. They generally start making a bit of noise before they go. First one was in the car when it got hit, may have been damaged then.

The intank pump generally lasts a bit longer because it runs cooler. It's immersed in gasoline all the time, of course!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts