Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
"But how do it know?"
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may have already seen this story posted on Yahoo this morning: "Fuel-Saving Devices Debunked". Im surprised to see that there were any gains at all.

On a related note, I remember a few years back when Summit was selling some fuel-catalyst device by a company called Fitch. Always wondered about that one. I guess the fact that I no longer see it on Summit says something.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
The last one listed/shown is a take off on the old cow magnet taped to a fuel line from about 25 years ago. It supposedly straightened out the molecules in the gas so they would flow better. I guess the "inventors" forgot that carburetors have fuel bowls so those straightened out molecules - didn't last too long.

A fool and his money are soon parted - by Thomas Tusser, ~1573

Dave W

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
lt1silverhawk said:
Some of you may have already seen this story posted on Yahoo this morning: "Fuel-Saving Devices Debunked". Im surprised to see that there were any gains at all.

On a related note, I remember a few years back when Summit was selling some fuel-catalyst device by a company called Fitch. Always wondered about that one. I guess the fact that I no longer see it on Summit says something.

Check page 27 of the current Summit catalog, Fitch Fuel Catalysts are there, and here on their website a whole bunch of them.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
Personally I use a flux capacitor and it saves me a lot.

·
Registered
740 Posts
cobalt327 said:
I believe Summit still hawks the "Tornado". :p
I had a '29 Plymouth in the shop and noticed it had a Tornado-like device on it from the factory. I suppose 'Big Oil' must have forced Plymouth to stop using them.....haha... :thumbup:

·
Gone sailing
398 Posts
Those intrested in honest research into fuel saving might Google Smoky Yunicks hot vapor engine. he thought enough of the idea to obtain several patents on his tinkering.

Russ

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,854 Posts
Soooo, wearing my tin foil cap while timing my Toyota with magnets in my boots for stability is all for naught? The tingle is nice. :mwink:

·
one full turn after it squeeks
1,173 Posts
Back in the 70's I had a 350 chevy PU that was getting around 18 mpg and a friend showed me how to install a piece of stainless water well screen between the carb and the intake and it increased my mpg to 21 - - - - Scout's Honor !

Of couse the speed limit was 55 at that time also. :D

·
Registered
193 Posts
Ever since I got that email from Nigeria I don't worry about saving money and saving gas. Soon all my money worries will be behind me. :D

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,854 Posts
silentpoet said:
Ever since I got that email from Nigeria I don't worry about saving money and saving gas. Soon all my money worries will be behind me. :D
Hahahahahahahahahaha! LMAO! Me too! :D

·
Registered
5,734 Posts
tornado ?

My Case 580 backhoe has a tornado on the air intake, factory installed like the old plymouth , but the pipe goes down instead of sideways. , but it swirles the air and deposits the heavy dirt particles in a clear bowl that I have to ocassionally take apart and clean. Cow magnets help IF YOU Have a rusty, dirty fuel storage tank and adjust the intake to suck off the bottom, keeps the iron particles from holding the needle off the seat. I have a big clear filter on my tractor fuel storage and if I need to clean the tank and suck off the bottom that stuff goes in the weed burner. I remember seeing a Spark booster at the County fair. The guy had a tach mounted and showed the difference in Rpm when the device was installed. I asked him to pull a spark plug and show everyone that the plugs were gapped at twice the factory spec. and the booster would fire wide gap plugs. I said its cheaper to buy new spark plugs and gap them to Spec.

·
Registered
5,734 Posts
Hot vapor

I now a guy who was also working on the hot vapor system. He said it worked buy required a lot of cleaning-maintenance maintenance cost exceeded fuel savings . He said that todays fuel is reformulated and gums up the system a lot faster and requires too much maintenance. he said if fuel was reformulated it would work.

·
boatbob2
1,385 Posts
Baah Humbug!!!!

Hi,i had the cow magnet,the tornado,a vapor carb,and a few more items (cant remember their names) all on my 1966 Mustang,they worked so well (and still do)that i sell my excess gasoling to Shell oil co.i make over $1,000.00 a month.( selling that excess gas)the only problem,is that if shell doesnt send their tanker 2 times a week,i have to burn the excess gas,and my FIRE DEPARTMENT is getting P----D at me....HAHA :) :) :) :) :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts