Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· "But how do it know?"
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may have already seen this story posted on Yahoo this morning: "Fuel-Saving Devices Debunked". Im surprised to see that there were any gains at all.

On a related note, I remember a few years back when Summit was selling some fuel-catalyst device by a company called Fitch. Always wondered about that one. I guess the fact that I no longer see it on Summit says something.

· Registered
8,315 Posts
The last one listed/shown is a take off on the old cow magnet taped to a fuel line from about 25 years ago. It supposedly straightened out the molecules in the gas so they would flow better. I guess the "inventors" forgot that carburetors have fuel bowls so those straightened out molecules - didn't last too long.

A fool and his money are soon parted - by Thomas Tusser, ~1573

Dave W

· Registered
6,969 Posts
lt1silverhawk said:
Some of you may have already seen this story posted on Yahoo this morning: "Fuel-Saving Devices Debunked". Im surprised to see that there were any gains at all.

On a related note, I remember a few years back when Summit was selling some fuel-catalyst device by a company called Fitch. Always wondered about that one. I guess the fact that I no longer see it on Summit says something.

Check page 27 of the current Summit catalog, Fitch Fuel Catalysts are there, and here on their website a whole bunch of them.

· Hotrodders.com Moderator
8,629 Posts
Soooo, wearing my tin foil cap while timing my Toyota with magnets in my boots for stability is all for naught? The tingle is nice. :mwink:

· one full turn after it squeeks
7,850 Posts
Back in the 70's I had a 350 chevy PU that was getting around 18 mpg and a friend showed me how to install a piece of stainless water well screen between the carb and the intake and it increased my mpg to 21 - - - - Scout's Honor !

Of couse the speed limit was 55 at that time also. :D

· Hotrodders.com Moderator
8,629 Posts
silentpoet said:
Ever since I got that email from Nigeria I don't worry about saving money and saving gas. Soon all my money worries will be behind me. :D
Hahahahahahahahahaha! LMAO! Me too! :D

· Registered
6,548 Posts
tornado ?

My Case 580 backhoe has a tornado on the air intake, factory installed like the old plymouth , but the pipe goes down instead of sideways. , but it swirles the air and deposits the heavy dirt particles in a clear bowl that I have to ocassionally take apart and clean. Cow magnets help IF YOU Have a rusty, dirty fuel storage tank and adjust the intake to suck off the bottom, keeps the iron particles from holding the needle off the seat. I have a big clear filter on my tractor fuel storage and if I need to clean the tank and suck off the bottom that stuff goes in the weed burner. I remember seeing a Spark booster at the County fair. The guy had a tach mounted and showed the difference in Rpm when the device was installed. I asked him to pull a spark plug and show everyone that the plugs were gapped at twice the factory spec. and the booster would fire wide gap plugs. I said its cheaper to buy new spark plugs and gap them to Spec.

· Registered
6,548 Posts
Hot vapor

I now a guy who was also working on the hot vapor system. He said it worked buy required a lot of cleaning-maintenance maintenance cost exceeded fuel savings . He said that todays fuel is reformulated and gums up the system a lot faster and requires too much maintenance. he said if fuel was reformulated it would work.

· boatbob2
1,808 Posts
Baah Humbug!!!!

Hi,i had the cow magnet,the tornado,a vapor carb,and a few more items (cant remember their names) all on my 1966 Mustang,they worked so well (and still do)that i sell my excess gasoling to Shell oil co.i make over $1,000.00 a month.( selling that excess gas)the only problem,is that if shell doesnt send their tanker 2 times a week,i have to burn the excess gas,and my FIRE DEPARTMENT is getting P----D at me....HAHA :) :) :) :) :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.