Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you have pictures of how you baffled your fuel tank. I am going to make mine and have been trying to find pictures or diagrams of different methods of baffling the tank. I've found plenty on the subject but no pictures or diagrams of a properly baffled tank. My tank is going in the rear of a 59 Chevy Pickup behind the rear end. It will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 12 to 15 gallons.
Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
;)

I contribute the lack of responses to the fact that most rodders do not fabricate a new tank ... they just adapt a existing unit to fit.

I find that a new reproduction 65 Mustang fuel tank is a good universal type of tank and fits many vehicles with just a little work. I have put them in the rear of a few F-1 and F-100 Ford pickups and believe that one would possibly work well in your truck ... :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a narrowed rear axle and have a very limited amount of space to put a gas tank. My brother is a professional welder and offered to build me a tank if I gave him the dimensions. I have found a lot of information about building tanks, and the mention of baffles, but no examples or even descriptions of the baffle. I'm sure I can come up with something but was hoping there would be some input from someone who had built a tank with baffles.
Thanks,
Dave

·
World Class ASE tech
704 Posts
I build a lot of fuel tanks for hot rods. Over 100 so far. You don't need any baffles in your tank!!! The big tanks on Suburbans and Expeditions hold 40 gallons and don't have any baffles in them. FYI there are 231 cubic inches in a gallon so you can figure how big a tank you are building.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I read that the foam brick cells will break down over time and need to be replaced. I just don't have any experience in this area and I don't know fact from fiction.
Thanks,
Dave

·
Start those projects someday
556 Posts
I have pulled hundreds of tanks in the 30 years at the dealership and my own cars. The only baffle I have ever seen is a small one the sits around the fuel injection pump pickup. It is only there to hold fuel around the pickup screen so the pump has a constant supply of fuel when the fuel level is extremely low. Custom applications may have them, but for all practical purposes porduction cars dont. Most people dont realize that until you shut the engine and all accessories off at about 20 MPH then come to a quick stop, you may hear the fuel slosh once of twice, then it stops. With the kids screamin and juke box playin you never hear it.

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
If you really feel that you need baffles, all you need is 2 peices of sheet stock. Put them in so they divide the tank into thirds, leave some space at the ends so gas can flow towards the pickup,

They don't need to go all the way up to the top. A full tank doesn't slosh.

For your application you don't really need a baffle.

later, mikey

·
Registered
160 Posts
What about for a custom EFI application? I've read lots suggesting it, and how a little aireation will kill the pump.

Then again, I've pull plenty of OEM tanks and never seen anything of the sort.. I think im answering my own question..

·
Member - AMC/Rambler "guru"
1,847 Posts
You can put the pickup for the electric fuel tank in a small sump or make a baffle around it to keep fuel from sloshing away from the pickup.

I had to build a tank for my 63 Rambler wagon. I installed one baffle in the center, splitting it into two sections left and right. I just cut the corners of the baffle and two pie-cut sections in the center (one top, one bottom) to allow fuel to flow through it. The main purpose for the baffle was to mount an in-tank fuel pump.

I drilled holes in the baffle to hold the pump at about a 45 degree angle. The pump is held to the baffle with a pair of u-bolts (2.5" muffler clamp bolts!). The tank is lower in the front than the back, so I just mounted it so the pickup sock was in the lowest section. I then mounted a 1" tall baffle to the floor of the tank across the side the pump filter is on. The short baffle was put all the way againts the center, but I left a 1" gap on the left side. This was done to keep all the fuel from rushing away from the pickup when I take off. I can run it down to two to three gallons of fuel before it sucks air on take off. At that point, a gas station better be within site! I can drive 2-3 miles before it sucks air. I've done this twice already -- gotta get that #$%%$^ gas gauge fixed!!

The pump is still in great shape. I know running low/out of fuel is hard on the pump, but mine won't run long enough by the time is starts sucking air to make much difference. I try to keep fuel in it, but it's hard to guess/remember how much is in there sometimes!

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,812 Posts
dmaggard said:
I read that the foam brick cells will break down over time and need to be replaced. I just don't have any experience in this area and I don't know fact from fiction.
Thanks,
Dave

Only when running Methonal. Then change it every teo years. But that's a lot of hassel for a street car.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Heres a web site I found a another thread, Tanks, inc. Pump and Baffle

Its a fuel pump and baffle assembly, It does require modification to an existing tank (adding a 5-1/2" hole I believe). Any opinions on this?

Im gearing up to do an EFI set up in the Monte Carlo, and I'm debating whether I should use the Tanks, inc set up or try to rig an electric pump on my existing sending unit.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
I've converted several cars to fuel injection.

My 63 Fairlane has a frame mounted pump by the tank sucking through the original gas pick up.

On hard launches with less than half a tank of gas I get fuel starvation when the gas sloshes to the rear of the tank.

A full tank of gas prevents this. I never had this trouble with a mechanical pump on the same car and a similarly healthy engine/launch.

I have considered opening the tank and installing a baffle or installing an intermediate tank about 1 qt capacity. Anybody done an intermediate tank set up?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.