Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Just a firefighter
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm getting a aluminum fuel cell built to my specs for free, yes I said free, for my Panel truck. The question I have is will I need to coat the inside or leave it raw aluminum?? I've been told that aluminum makes fuel go bad faster for some reason thats why I wanted to ask.
Thanks folks :D

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
reguardless of material I would have the inside poly coated for good measure. Poly coating will stand up to alot of abuse so if you happen to run over something that causes damage to the tank it will be less likely to leak because the poly coating is very flexible and hard to puncture. I personally always coat any handmade fuel tank I construct from steel to aluminum.

HK

·
ASE Master
246 Posts
Factory aluminum or steel tanks aren't coated. I just pulled and checked the tank on a 36 Ford the inside was great. If the tank is full of gas there is no place for air and water. which causes rust, so to get rid of water put a fuel drier additive in it when you store it for a long time. I don't trust sealers in tanks. Have seen too many that start to delaminate and plug screens and pumps. If the tank needs internal sealers replace it. Tanks usually rust from outside under the straps or areas that hold dirt and moisture.Ray

1 - 4 of 4 Posts