Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1941 Chevy Special Deluxe Coupe
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am thinking of installing a 20 gallon fuel cell in the trunk of my 41 Chevy Coupe. What kind of venting setup do you guys recommend? I can't mount a traditional fuel tank under the trunk as I have my spare tire mounted under there. Inside the trunk is my only option. I sure don't want any gas fumes inside the car.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Fuel tank inside the car is never a good idea whereas a spare tire inside the car is. Now to answer your question, will the fill also be located in the trunk or outside? If inside you will need a sealing gas cap, one that does NOT have a vent. Next you will need a roll over vent. The vent will need to be high outside the car. Alternative is to have a vent line come off the tank or fill neck and loop up, then outside the car underneath. Reason for the vent going under the car is in case of a roll over gas will not be leaking out.

·
Registered
1941 Chevy Special Deluxe Coupe
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fuel tank inside the car is never a good idea whereas a spare tire inside the car is. Now to answer your question, will the fill also be located in the trunk or outside? If inside you will need a sealing gas cap, one that does NOT have a vent. Next you will need a roll over vent. The vent will need to be high outside the car. Alternative is to have a vent line come off the tank or fill neck and loop up, then outside the car underneath. Reason for the vent going under the car is in case of a roll over gas will not be leaking out.
Thanks for the info. I am using a racing style fuel cell like this one pictured.

·
True Hotrodder
1,955 Posts

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
So, here's the setup I have. The back half of the frame is from an S10. So, a stock 41 tank won't necessarily fit back in the original place.
So run a s10(blazer) fuel tank and throw the spare in trunk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.